How to: CXRacing Intercooler Install w/out Relocation (EASY WAY)

red1ty1

Mar 24, 2015
Montreal
Hey Guys,

So this is my first official post and im gonna try my best to convey my method of install.

This is the CXRacing "New Style" Intercooler Kit that can be found at http://www.driftmotion.com/NEW-7M-IC-Kit-p/dm2354.htm . It has same sided inlet and outlet ports along with a replica HKS SSQV and Chrome Piping. Its a full bolt on kit.

Now there are many people that install intercooler kits and have to relocate the Overflow Bottle, Oil Cooler, Cut the hood support brackets. move the horns, move the AC lines ETC ETC ETC..... This method that Ive used to install the Intercooler requires no more than just cutting some brackets to support the intercooler.

ALL THE BRACKETS YOU SEE UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE ACTUALLY CAME WITH THE INTERCOOLER. :icon_razz

NOTE: The Oil Cooler does have to be relocated. You have two choices with this, you can either keep the stock Oil Cooler and replace all the lines with 3/8 Oil Lines straight to the stock Oil Cooler / Filter. Or you can get a new Oil Cooler and replace the stock one with 3/8 lines ( thats what I have done). Then you can just run zip ties and washers through the radiator to mount the Oil Cooler. Simple!:naughty::icon_razz:icon_bigg

Here it is Installed

IMG_20160201_220304.jpg

As you can see the intercooler appears to be flat even though it is in fact mounted at an angle.

Here in this photo you will see that I indeed used the stock Intercooler Mount. I cut a small piece of metal and angled it 90 degrees and then used the brackets that came with the intercooler to mount the intercooler. Since the stock Intercooler bracket is angled the same orientation as the Intercooler, when adding a 90 degree bracket the tension that is put on the bracket is held up very well. By design this works very nicely.

IMG_20160208_203459.jpg
IMG_20160208_203506.jpg
IMG_20160208_203523.jpg

Absolutely No clearance issues at all. The Intercooler has minimal movement and I have tried banging on it hard and it will not touch the brackets.

IMG_20160208_203609.jpg
IMG_20160208_203630.jpg

Overflow in the stock location (only 1 bolt is able to hold it in although). Horns in stock location. Intercooler in "stock" orientation.
IMG_20160208_210605.jpg

Now why should the intercooler be mounted vertically. We all know that flat will look very nice when using an aftermarket bumper. But this way the intercooler can actually receieve more airflow as it isnt being blocked by the large crash bar. So now this bumper / crash bar BARELY blocks the intercooler. Also the angle helps with the intercooler to be mounted lower in the car for better airflow when using the stock bumper but also takes up less space and as such the intercooler sits higher to the ground than mounting it flat.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
This intercooler was one of the, scratch that, THE WORST mod I EVER did to my old Supra. Dual pass intercoolers are a no no, and that's information that I didn't find until years after I fitted one of these piles of garbage. I remember when I dynoed the Supra... It made 280whp and 360 ft lbs of torque. How? Well, it spiked to wastegate pressure of ~18lbs and then dropped to ~12. Plenty of boost when its down low, nothing up top. After I read about dual pass intercoolers, I yanked that SOB out and replaced it with a single pass, and what do you know? It holds boost to redline.

Cliffnotes, get rid of it and replace it with a spearco.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Backlash2032;2069368 said:
This intercooler was one of the, scratch that, THE WORST mod I EVER did to my old Supra. Dual pass intercoolers are a no no, and that's information that I didn't find until years after I fitted one of these piles of garbage. I remember when I dynoed the Supra... It made 280whp and 360 ft lbs of torque. How? Well, it spiked to wastegate pressure of ~18lbs and then dropped to ~12. Plenty of boost when its down low, nothing up top. After I read about dual pass intercoolers, I yanked that SOB out and replaced it with a single pass, and what do you know? It holds boost to redline.

Do you have any more info on the pressure drop for a dual pass? I was going to get one but you've scared me a bit LOL.

red1ty1

Mar 24, 2015
Montreal
Backlash2032;2069368 said:

Yeah you've scared me too, I'm going to have to test this and get back to you. I see what you're saying but driftmotions a good website and I have a good feeling they wouldn't be selling these intercoolers if everyone saying they're complete garbage. They'd just sell only their other same priced intercooler kit