How stupid are some people?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
While it may not be the "right" way, it does work and was done quite a lot back in the days before cheap custom CNC'd pistons...

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
There's no excuse for doing it like that now because of such thing.

And a METAL head spacer without machine work? Are you fucking kidding me?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Same crap that's in the Honda world. When the engines are cheap and disposable, it's cheaper to swap engines every so often instead of building the engine. It USED to be like that for us as well, remember?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
It's never been like that here for Supra owners...not exactly an abundance of the engines. If someone suggested on here, that they turbo'ed a 7M-GE by stacking head gaskets to lower compression, we'd laugh them out of here and tell them to get a clue!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Back when I first got into the supra game, JDM engines and front slips were cheap and easy to get, not so much now...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hah. Looks like the post i made there got me a forum wide mute. Probably for disturbing the back-slapping clueless mongs that run the place.

For the rest of you, i shall quote my post:

Now i thought i'd wade into this one, as you lot seem to be having a go at shaz for raising a perfectly valid point.

Stacking head gaskets might be very 'scene' and all, but it is NOT the *CORRECT* way to drop compression. Any half decent engine builder (and i'm not talking about some mong in a shed with a socket set) will tell you that you're wrong.

For all the money you dump into a build, you're spending money everywhere except where it matters.

Ever heard of this thing called quench area? Well - by just stacking the gaskets, you're adversely affecting it, in a way that a properly machined piston won't. You also increase the risk of the gaskets blowing - as they're not designed to seal against one another - spray on as much permatex as you like, it's not going to have a particularly long lifespan. You want to use a headspacer - okay, not a great way of doing it either, and with the money you spend, you're halfway to the set of forged pistons anyway!

Honestly, i never understand why people are so eager to dump money on things like big turbo's and expensive management, when they can't be bothered to sort out the very basics of the engine block properly.

How much is a set of pistons for an ABF? Take the 8.5:1 JE's for example - a full set w/rings is about £440. £110 per piston is fairly reasonable for FORGED pistons that are DESIGNED for a forced induction application. Set of FORGED rods? £260. Rods aren't strictly necessary for some forced induction applications, but, if you're tearing the engine down, building it properly, do you REALLY want to put your faith in a set of stock rods that are x thousand miles old? I hope the answer is no, but knowing the VW community - there are bound to be those that disagree. So, £700 so far. Bank on £200 for the machine work (deck the block to 15-25 RA depending on MHG, hone the bores, rebore if need be). Now upto £900. Then a turbocharger - your choice, but bank on paying out say £500 for a Garrett 2871 without the manifold. £1400 by the time you're done - a fair price for a decent engine build that's RELIABLE.

If you're going to whine about the cost, don't. If you want to play the forced induction game, and do it properly (as opposed to being a cletus and flying in the face of physics, mathematics & common sense), you have to spend the money. If not, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Do it right, do it once, and more importantly - do it properly. Fast/Cheap/Reliable - PICK TWO.

So far all i've seen of the VW community in the UK is a lot of CHEAP...

Now what part of that would deserve a forum wide mute, ban or PM from the admin telling me to STFU? Hmm?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Kai;1583289 said:
Now what part of that would deserve a forum wide mute, ban or PM from the admin telling me to STFU? Hmm?

Tell the admin over there that the admin over here says that he needs to grow a real set of balls if he's going to do that job... Pandering to the idiots on your forum just ensures that you run a forum full of idiots.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Don't Vdubs fall into the low and slow category? A kid I go to school with always bragged about how fast his Audi TT is. It saw less road time than my Supra cause he was always fixing it. Granted, he was using bolts from Home Depot to hold bushings in place.

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
I got threatened with a deleted account. I think it's shocking that someone who challenges the cletus method with "why don't you build it properly" is shunned. Cost isn't even an issue, a forged engine ISN'T expensive in the long term if you do it right. You do it right, once, start with a smaller turbo and then never have to build it again for a long long time. Then you fit a massive turbo later and whack the boost up without fear of popping it.

And get this, metal headgasket/spacer WITHOUT machine work. They sound like a bunch of pussies to me. I'll wait it out until I build a proper turbo VW motor with a stupid big turbo, forged internals and fully machined and bored engine. They think 200 horse from a 16v 2.0 engine is hard to do, no you just blueprint the bloody thing with forged internals and higher CR then put it on bodies and lairy cams, if you're not making big power then you're a retard.

I'm so embarrassed by other VW owners sometimes. They slag off each others cars, they don't want to deviate from their accepted methods and are very elitist about things. I'm only going to bother using the for sale sections on ClubGTi now, there's no point in anything else other than the bargains.

Oh it looks like I've been banned from the Members Rides section, looks like I'll just post up how to build a proper Golf somewhere else then.

Seeing as I know for pretty solid fact that their admin is a chicken shit I do plan to knock him flat on his ass at the big VW show at the end of the summer.

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
This is what bugs me, they're good cars (well the old ones, new ones seem to really blow.) There's quite a bit of information on the forum that was useful, I've absorbed all that's really useful from those dicks now and I think I'll stick to a couple of other VW forums I go on. Plus I have a good friend from there who knows everything that they know (usually answers all their questions) so no loss.

The for sale section was good. That's about all I'll miss.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
make since to me why that wouldnt work. Using more that one condom doesnt work either, same principle i guess. But people are retarded. Thats why i got out of the Honda scene. Too many people that were more concerned about "Vtaks" and "Hella FLush" rims than a good engne. Dont get me wrong, I still like a nice Honda every now and again, But I think most every one here is more knowledgable than most other "tuner" owners.

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
I'm keeping with the VWs, another forum I go on is perfectly fine, they'll discuss things and they'll be men about it. ClubGTI are just the most closed minded ignorant bunch of dicks (with a couple of excepts, but yeah) I've ever come across.