How reliable is the 7mgte?

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
One guy quoted this.
" The problem comes from early technology with mating aluminum to cast iron, a laminated gasket doesn't allow enough movement for the aluminum to expand and contract with heat like a mls gasket will other than that its a bombshell, i mean the m family engines have been going strong since the 60s if that says anything about em"

Now I don't understand that much into depth about materials and their thermal proprieties and expansion rates.

But perhaps this was something Toyota looked over which is why the JZ engines came out MHG from factory thereby rectifying the problem. From it's predecessor

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I agree the ugly. That is the signal biggest reasons to go 2j . Looks. AS much as I love the 7m and they have treated me right i do want to go 2j . IMO Not worth the money to FFIM on the 7m and still have Ok ignition system even with HKS DLI . And out dated electronics. IMO When I go stand alone It will be a 2JZGTE engine.

Btw I never go wot for 15 to 20 min. This allows for proper expansion of block and head. All IMO.

For and engine design that started production in 1965. The M series have been great. Yes the "J" series engine took everything learned from the "M" series and improved on the shortcomings. Heck now Toyota gets 300 hp + out of a NA V6. However this does not mean the 2JZGTE is junk because they need turbos to do 300hp.

Only the knowing know i'm lying. Not the vast majority of FF idiots out there.

But to the OP question and then the ones who brought this back from dead. Yes the 7MGTE is a great engine. I suggest you buy a unmodded car. IE: not someone elses problem project car. Yes 25 year old cars need work.