how much is my car worth?

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
hey guys,
Heres the deal, im thinking about selling the supra :cry: , i just dont have the money for her anymore. I was wondering if you guys could give me an appraisel on its value. The car has 100,300 miles and the exterior is pretty clean but the interior is spotless. The motor's compresion is perfect and it doesnt burn oil, however it has a spun bearing on the number three cylinder. let me know what you think, and if you want to make me an offer go right ahead. thanks for the help.

here it is on car domain,
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/532149

1989 turbo targa, white w/ blue interior

HKS 3 inch DP
3 inch test pipe
HKS 3 inch exhaust
K&N FIPK system
Fidanza Flywheel
RPS Clutch (six Puck, Sprung hub)
ST Springs
ST Sway Bars
CUSCO front strut Brace
Greddy TT
Pioneer head
Sonly Xplode Speakers
Short Shifter
Monster Tach
Boosting 12 PSI
New Brakes in Front
ALL new Tires ( 225 kuhmo ASX)
Various other new parts

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I know you should should at least get 6,000 or more, because when i had my 89 N/A it had about 113,000 miles on it when it was totaled out and the insurance company gave me 6 grand for mine and the paint was a little faded and it did burn oil some after the blown head gasket was fixed, but that's just my opinion though maybe someone else might be different from mine.

7MGTESUPRAMAN

Aug 8, 2005
Macon, GA
I don't think I would sell the car man after all what you have spent into it. It looks good with the all white package, I proably would just put it in storage or park until I had the money for it. You would hate if you see your car being driving around town by someone else it just doesn't feel right espcially if you've wanted that car and you know how much time and money you have already spent into it. I would just park it or put it in storage.

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
its got 1000 in exaust and 1600 in clutch and another 1000 in suspension, not to mention 1000+ in new parts, how is it only worth 3500 tops?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
sorry but ANY car with an engine that is basically useless and needs a rebuild isnt worth much at all...

you should sell the performance parts you can take off easily...and then sell the car....otherwise youll be losing a ton of money....

AS IS unless you find the sucker that will come along every now and then...youd be lucky to get 1200 for it IMO

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
the engine can be fixed easy for $600. ive check and come damn near close to doing it. im in libertyville, which is just north of chi town.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
89mkthree said:
the engine can be fixed easy for $600. ive check and come damn near close to doing it. im in libertyville, which is just north of chi town.

spun bearing...fixed easy...NO

have you had it apart? i doubt it.... for all you know the buyer would need a new crank new rod and worst case a new block!

you dont know the damage to assess how much it would cost... and if YOU DO...then i still dont see fixing it RIGHT for 600 bucks... but thats just me....

either way...a non running engine needing a rebuild car isnt worth much at all...deal with it

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
i agee, i am currently going thru my motor since it had a bhg at 118k.once you start adding up the parts to fix it-redo the crank,bearings,rod bearings and rings,gasket set ect.... it really adds up in a hurry.as for the mods you have to remember that these are used parts now,not new and have lost value.before you think about selling it,just think about all the rice you have beaten ,the fun you have driving it and the complements you get from owning a supra

Last edited:

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
i know, i dont want to sell but i might have to. the bearings can be replaced without taking the motor out of the car and yes i have pulled the O.P. and the crank is perfect, the rod is not bent, ect.

LayZ

Baller
May 29, 2005
DMV
me either, why sell a clean ass supra because it has a simple 600 dollar problem? i have an old 87 na with a messed up motor and lots of little problems that i'd gladly put 600-1000 dollars into to be able to keep it

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Im not gonna completely kill your spirits like Ideal, lol. But if you spun a bearing it is basically impossible for the crank to be perfect. That doesnt mean that its no good though. If you didnt run it too much or do to much damage you could probably get it spun by a machinist (asuming that it was never done before). Personally I would tell you that it would be financially best for you to invest the money to fix it and then sell it for well over the amount it cost to fix. Who knows you might even find a way to keep it after its fixed :)

By the way... heres my advice... dont try to fix it with the motor in the car. I was able to replace the bearings 2 years ago with the motor still in the car, but I needed a hoist to raise the motor anyway and it was so much more difficult. And it turned out to STILL HAVE A KNOCK. I needed to have the crank turned and i didnt like an idiot. Thats my opinion, take it or leave it, lol

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
thanks for the input guys! but it looks like im gunna get to keep it! and it looks like ill get to do a full rebuild over the winter with the car in storage! sorry to put you guys through that and now im keeping it. anyway thank the car gods!