how much boost???

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Was just about to head off to bed and desided i'd throw a question out there since im building the bottom end and going with a mhg and stock top(for now) how much boost can i safely run with everything stock exept this stuff. balanced performance bottom and mhg will be the only real changes besides electronics. thanks.

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
Not sure what brand everything is but in a word.... a lot. My buddy is running 22lbs on a stock bottom end and MHG. You can probably run 25 or more, but would reccomend a stopper gasket by HKS.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
^^^ what he said. Everything stock like that, it's not how much boost is safe, it's how much boost the ECU is gonna let you run. 10-15 like he said. With some other work done (fuel system and computers) you can push the stock turbo to like 15-18psi, and then you'll need a turbo upgrade

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's all relative, yet this question is pointless unless we know WHICH TURBO.

11psi on a T78 != 11psi on a CT26.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
well i did say electronics... maybe i should have been more clear about what electronics i would get a ebc, efc, boost cut controller, turbo timer, ect. so boost cut wouldn't be an issue and the turbo is stock. was just wondering how much can the engine handle. without worring about braking anything berfore i do more to the car. im building two cars at once one is the supra the other is a 92 vw gti. so after i get the bottom done and all the electronics it will be the same till after i build the bottom of the gti. So with all the elecronics and the bottom end and a stopper gasket(<---that was the plan btw) Is it only the turbo and lex. afm/550cc injectors that holds me back or what? just want to be safe rather then sorry dont want to fix anything that didnt need it. thanks.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Why a stock CT if you're building the engine up?
It's not the engine that's the problem then, it's the turbo that'll give up the ghost.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
supra90turbo said:
Why a stock CT if you're building the engine up?
It's not the engine that's the problem then, it's the turbo that'll give up the ghost.

because, like most of us here I'm building it over time... i got the car with two rods knocking and a bhg. so i fugured if im rebuilding the bottom i might as well do it once. turbo and other things are next just wondering what its good for now intil i do a turbo