How many run without EGR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
BillyM;1138190 said:
"Uh-oh guys, someone pointed out a well-written, researched, and data-backed exception to our egr rule." SHHHHHHH, maybe we can still be right in our suggestion that everyone use EGR (even that those with map-based standalones and piggybacks) if we just stay quiet till he leaves. Lets go post the same stuff in the other EGR thread instead! Quickly now, to the EGR-mobile!"

Mr "SWD Fredster", post 26, has already blown $380 buying brand new EGR components and plans to toss it on his previously-tuned AEM on your suggestions. I will keep an eye out for the "Help, my car is running 11:1 AFR's at cruise since I installed my $380 egr and now I fail emissions worse than ever!" thread...

Just keep in mind for your future "EGRants", that suggesting an EGR setup to someone who's converted to map-based air metering, you could cause them plenty of hassle, waste their money, and make their car run poorly, so be careful with it unless you have absolute first-hand experience.

--BillyM

BTW your logic is flawed. If HKS did in fact use the Japanese TCCS to do thier programming. Well then the VPC will work INCORRECTLY in the US TCCS just beacuse of the EGR inclusion in the fuel and timing maps as the US TCCS is still tuned for EGR.

My statement stands. The VPC when it was sold in the US never had any issues with people running the EGR along with the VPC. This was since at least 1996 and now you all of a sudden found an issue? Sorry I am calling a 10 foot deep pool of BULLSHIT.

No where in the instructions does HKS mention EGR removal. So this issue points strictly to user error and I will leave it at that.

Now for the AEM guys. They can infact run EGR just like they can run 1600cc/min injectors or whatever they want. Any tuner that is worth a damn will know how to compensate for it. Though knowing how the AEM crowd goes for the most part. You are right, We will see a post asking for help as they attempt to do it themselves.

as for tuners touching EGR. such a narrow view of the world. Guess that what happens when your experience is with tuners that only do "street tuning" with no experience in the IMSA, Grand Am, LeMans, Porsche cup circuits. Let me guess. A/C does not exist in race cars also right?

Last edited:

BillyM

MK2 + 7M = FUN
Mar 3, 2006
Greenville, SC
...I don't doubt that people swore they had no problems with their VPC, just like the euro's pull EGR off their otherwise stock cars and say there is no draw-back. I bet you $$$ that those people who thought their cars ran just fine with a VPC and EGR did not persue perfection as hard as I, nor did they pay attention to the resultant data as closely as I do.

Now, you have no clue how a VPC operates, you guess and suppose as fact the differences between the JDM and USA ecu's, and I'm not convinced you have a solid grasp on the air metering and the fueling requirements of EGR operation... It is my opinion that you are a source of harshly-put misinformation that hides under the umbrella of the truly knowledgeable members and I've seen you reduce many intelligent, informative threads to a mush-pit of arguement with your forward, heated, and often misinformed comments. So until you've resolved some of the short-sightedness you posess PLEASE excuse yourself from this discussion, as I'm hoping to get some real minds in here to rethink this aspect you've all taken on EGR.

--billyM

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You know Billy, your approach is neither well written nor accurate. You have a choice:
- Read what I have to say, based on this:

10419461730.jpg

- Or, continue to rationalize what you have done based on speculation.

I do "have a solid grasp on the air metering and the fueling requirements of EGR operation" ;)

Point 1 - You have said a couple times now the VPC output to the TCCS does not matter...it's not the issue. Hate to tell you this but it's a major part of the issue. A VPC outputs the same type signal (square wave...increasing frequency) as the Karman Vortex AFM...the frequency is generated in the VPC based primarily on AIT, intake manifold pressure and RPM. It's still a square wave signal and is interpreted the same way by the TCCS. The VPC "fools" the TCCS by increasing/decreasing the output signal frequency (Vs) to increase/decrease basic injector duration primarily via the gain knob...the initial throttle response knob affects VTA. Regardless of what you said, you are "lying" to the TCCS with a modified/generated signal.

Point 2 - Power Enrichment occurs under heavy engine load...the relevant signals are:
- Throttle position (VTA)
- Intake air volume (Vs)
- Engine Speed (Ne)
- Coolant Temp (THW)
The VPC affect two of these signals (VTA and Vs), but not engine speed or THW. The TCCS will calculate injector volume for power enrichment in the 10-30% range. This is an important point, Power Enrichment will cause the TCCS to go into open-loop...AFR feedback is inop during open-loop. The AFR correction coefficient is 1.0 during Power Enrichment...the TCCS does not react to the O2 sensor. Therefore, no adjustment for an initial lean AFR...your "explosion detectors" (knock sensors) are your last defense to detonation.

Point 3 - The EGR is inop at idle up to ~4000 RPM (actually 4000 to 4500). The volume of exhaust gas supplied to the EGR is a ratio (not a percentage) based on exhaust manifold pressure as it relates to intake manifold pressure (or vacuum). On the GTE motor, the vacuum modulator controls the volume based on exhaust gas pressure vs vacuum/boost. The GE motor requires an additional vac line to effect EGR flow at low power settings in the same manner when exhaust pressure is low...once exhaust pressure is high, EGR gas is delivered regardless (thanks JJ). EGR piping is a set size...it will only flow a set amount of exhaust gas limited by the vacuum modulator. The bottom line here is exhaust gas present in the cylinders changes based on exhaust pressure...it is not a set percentage of cylinder volume.

Point 4 - The TCCS (without piggyback inputs) is tuned for the EGR both for fuel and timing. When the EGR is active, exhaust gas displaces air in the cylinders per the ratio above...this is less O2 available for combustion, therefore requiring less fuel. This is why the EGR will help with gas mileage. If you introduce more air (i.e. no EGR), the TCCS will react in closed-loop using an AFR correction coefficient of 0.8 to 1.2...since the additional air causes a lean condition, the TCCS will add fuel over time and set the value in learned memory. Basic timing is not affected though...capacity of ECU memory is limited and cannot hold all possible advance angle data. The TCCS selects values from the timing table closest to engine speed and intake air volume and calculates corrective values limited to a minimum of -10 to 0 deg and maximum advance of 35-45 deg . One of these corrective values is EGR flow...again to allow more efficient engine operation due to the resistance to detonation the EGR provides.

Point 5 - It's not the EGR that causes tuning problems, it's TCCS corrections to fuel and timing during closed-loop and the resulting learned values. The learned values change both fuel and timing based on inputs from the AFM (or VPC) and O2 sensor...it attempts to correct AFR and timing to the "normal" value range for the engine.

Now, after reading all this, I want to point out what I have said all along. For normal driving conditions, including high throttle runs under boost, removing the EGR will likely not cause a problem. Your gas mileage will suffer, but it's not likely you will detonate because the TCCS has time to compensate. Where you get into trouble is at a 3000 RPM cruise in closed-loop (especially with little learned value present in the ECU...i.e. after an ECU reset) and you hit an uphill grade. You downshift, the car goes into boost...power enrichment occurs, but the ECU is using open-loop values (fuel and timing) that assume the EGR is there. You detonate the motor.

Will this always happen...nope. Can you add fuel with a piggyback to minimize the effect...yep, but you will run rich at cruise and the TCCS will adjust fuel/timing in closed-loop and retain the learned values (that nasty piggyback tuning problem again). What ends up happening is you "tune" to the min/max correction values in the TCCS with the same signals used by a VPC...it is the nature of he beast when you basically "lie" to the ECU. It is not optimal. That is why you want to use a JDM TCCS to take the EGR out of the calculations...or, a full standalone.

Concerning the cost issues for those that have removed the EGR. Well, if they took the time to figure it out, they would not have removed it to begin with now would they ;)

If someone finds themselves in this situation, it was self induced...the choice is to roll the dice or bite the bullet and incur the expense of putting it back on. The EGR causing "tuning problems" is simply not true...it was the TCCS causing the problem until you hit the max correction range. This is about as true as "the EGR cooler causing the #6 cylinder to get hot" statement made earlier in this thread. Supported by a guy who knows so little, it's hard to keep up with what he doesn't know ;)

Concerning the guy with the AEM, I told him that the EGR would not be required...his response was:

SWD Fredester 3;1133619 said:
Thanks, mileage and clean air do matter and hopefully I'll be able to pass
emissions next year! I also have the parts so I might as well use them.

A very mature response, that was thought through from the beginning. Unlike what you're saying...cost is not an issue to me (and a lot of others) when it can put my motor at risk. And, the ability to save $3.70 per gallon gas is an issue, especially when it will likely get worse.

The EGR is not a rant and removing it is the real waste of money. It has zero effect on top HP produced and I can see no logical reason for removing it when using a stock TCCS.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
BillyM;1139092 said:
...I don't doubt that people swore they had no problems with their VPC, just like the euro's pull EGR off their otherwise stock cars and say there is no draw-back. I bet you $$$ that those people who thought their cars ran just fine with a VPC and EGR did not persue perfection as hard as I, nor did they pay attention to the resultant data as closely as I do.

Now, you have no clue how a VPC operates, you guess and suppose as fact the differences between the JDM and USA ecu's, and I'm not convinced you have a solid grasp on the air metering and the fueling requirements of EGR operation... It is my opinion that you are a source of harshly-put misinformation that hides under the umbrella of the truly knowledgeable members and I've seen you reduce many intelligent, informative threads to a mush-pit of arguement with your forward, heated, and often misinformed comments. So until you've resolved some of the short-sightedness you posess PLEASE excuse yourself from this discussion, as I'm hoping to get some real minds in here to rethink this aspect you've all taken on EGR.

--billyM

Sucks when you are wrong huh billyM. You being convinced is irrelvant to the question at hand as I have tried to tell you, the facts are on our (the Keep EGR) side.

See jdubs reponse above this one.

Arrogance and a pompace attitude will get you know where here. Knowing FACTS (as you seem to lack) is what this game is about.

As you so eloquently put it, Please do excuse YOURSELF and go hover around in the General Supra Forum. Let the technical side of thing go on without your input.

btw take this as your only warning. The next time you attempt to flame-bait me with your thinly veiled attacks, I will take the bait. Week off or not (I preffer not but when a user such as yourself insists, I can only stand against the wave of stupidity for so long), I am not going to put up with your bullshit any longer.

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i managed to score a jdm ecu on ebay for 100 shipped, there is also one on there right now for a pre 89 automatic for those that need it. i looked around everywhere most of the jdm engine places online wanted 200 shipped, guess i lucked out. I believe the guy on ebay has several of them on hand its worth asking if he has any others for 89+. here is the link to the pre 89 auto ecu. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...836|39:1|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 sorry if im not suppose to put a ebay link on let me know. im just tryin to help those out that are looking for one.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
hi... just a thought... couldn't you run colder sparkplugs to help lessen the risk of detonation without an egr? I got a 7M without one and was thinking of running colder plugs regardless. the motor i had befor this one made no noises just blew the head gasket due to a faulty stant thermostat and a dead fan clutch and never had a problem with detonation. also with no egr. (sorry if this was already covered, hadn't noticed the 3 pages till i posted)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A colder plug has little effect on detonation due to a lean mixture, as in the case with the EGR in it's operation range. Colder plugs will help a misfire at high boost or (in extreme cases) pre-ignition due to a hot plug. The downside of a colder plug is poor cold start and fouling...spark plugs do not "self clean" very well as the heat range gets colder.

Keep something in mind about spark plug heat range...hotter plugs have increased tip temperatures that resist fouling at low engine speeds (good for city driving)...colder plugs have lower tip temps that help transfer heat from the combustion chamber. In this sense, I suppose a colder plug will help to some degree to prevent detonation on a turbo motor, but the effect of EGR gas in the cylinder is far greater. It's going to be driving style dependant...is most your driving in the EGR ops range, how much boost you run, when you are in boost and will the plug tip get hot enough to prevent fouling.

Detonation and pre-ignition are very different. An engine may be able to handle some or minor detonation. Pre-ignition will melt your pistons in short order if allowed to happen....extreme pressure and heat results with this situation. One effect from detonation that can occur is the tip of the spark plug will overheat resulting in a "glow plug"...you can see this during extended runs under boost; a coolant overheat makes this situation more likely. Pre-ignition follows with catastrophic results. In this case, no EGR would not be the cause...it is inop above ~4000 RPM anyway.

FYI - with a coolant overheat (> 210 deg), the ECU pulls timing to help prevent detonation. You very well could have experienced detonation and never knew it...the combination of coolant overheat and no EGR can do it easily.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm...I think that's what I said ;)

jdub;1141296 said:
Keep something in mind about spark plug heat range...hotter plugs have increased tip temperatures that resist fouling at low engine speeds (good for city driving)...colder plugs have lower tip temps that help transfer heat from the combustion chamber. In this sense, I suppose a colder plug will help to some degree to prevent detonation on a turbo motor, but the effect of EGR gas in the cylinder is far greater. It's going to be driving style dependant...is most your driving in the EGR ops range, how much boost you run, when you are in boost and will the plug tip get hot enough to prevent fouling.

Read my post carefully...a colder plug is not going to completely offset the effect of the EGR. It is a measure you can take, but you will still have to richen the mixture on a USDM ECU and that is going to make a colder plug more prone to fouling. This is case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
jdub;1141415 said:
Ummm...I think that's what I said ;)

Read my post carefully...a colder plug is not going to completely offset the effect of the EGR. It is a measure you can take, but you will still have to richen the mixture on a USDM ECU and that is going to make a colder plug more prone to fouling. This is case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

and what would a ball park of spark plug life be in this situation?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If it fouls due to a rich mixture, very short...maybe a week.
It's going to depend on what your specific set-up is...you will have to run it to see. Even then, it's not the solution.

Looking for a "band-aid" for what the EGR does on a stock ECU is full of traps...it doesn't work very well at all. If you've read this thread, that should be obvious. The easiest solution is just to run the friggin EGR. Or, get a JDM or stand alone EMS...exactly what I've said all along

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
jdub;1141495 said:
If it fouls due to a rich mixture, very short...maybe a week.
It's going to depend on what your specific set-up is...you will have to run it to see. Even then, it's not the solution.

Looking for a "band-aid" for what the EGR does on a stock ECU is full of traps...it doesn't work very well at all. If you've read this thread, that should be obvious. The easiest solution is just to run the friggin EGR. Or, get a JDM or stand alone EMS...exactly what I've said all along

yeah, im gonna end up putting an egr back on mine. can't afford the AEM right now, and i've already spent $6000 in the past two years on a supra that doesnt run. Was just thinking of ways to get it running without and be a bit safer while i save up for the EGR.

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
zachm611;1140960 said:
i managed to score a jdm ecu on ebay for 100 shipped, there is also one on there right now for a pre 89 automatic for those that need it. i looked around everywhere most of the jdm engine places online wanted 200 shipped, guess i lucked out. I believe the guy on ebay has several of them on hand its worth asking if he has any others for 89+. here is the link to the pre 89 auto ecu. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...836|39:1|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 sorry if im not suppose to put a ebay link on let me know. im just tryin to help those out that are looking for one.

JDM ECU's are speed limited...They wont go past 180kph if you are planning on going to the strip or uping the boost..let me tell you that 180kph limiter becomes annoying...and you will end up installing a piggy back to remove the limiter anyway(not a fan of feul cut defenders). Why not install a piggy back to begin with on the USDM ecu....

my opinion.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Neal - Why not install an EGR?

My opinion ;)

Read the previous pages, already went over the piggyback option.

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
Im not against the EGR...im all for it dont take me wrong...I think you guys have put together a briiliant case your honor..
But JDM ecu isnt the go really...

my opinion

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
are you sure its a standard jdm ECU..it sounds like it might has been twicked by the like of mine's, blitz otherwise standard JDM ecu's dont go over 180kph atleast none that i have come across, all the guys i know off are running piggy back or speed cut defender to eliminate 180kph limiter.

On second thought if it looks like standard(not been played with) and the plugs are yellow and 89+ manual ECU i wouldn't mind having the part number and doing some research/find one for my MA71.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It wasn't tweaked to the best of my knowledge...I borrowed from a friend of mine it in an effort to pass emissions a couple years ago. It was an auto tranny ECU. I can check with him to see if he still has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.