How many of you have had code 52 on your 1J/2J?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I've had the damn code for years at this point, but before someone steps in and says 'what the hell is wrong with you,' I'd like to point out that I've always been fairly easy going on my car, and it was always filled with 93 and ran on stock twins/boost for all that time. Still, I admit that knock detection is important (very important), and that the knock sensors on these engines are supposed to be pretty great at their job. What put my mind to ease more or less was that when dyno'd, a knock meter was always attached to the motor from what I was told, and no issues were reported even during repeated runs, and it made good power. Now, I'm wanting to fix this because the single requires a bit more attention to detail IMO. I read that code 52 differentiates the front sensor from the rear one (-code 55), so that's a bit of a relief as well.

What have folks found to be the issue? the sensors themselves? or perhaps the wiring (no doubt heat and weathering take their tolls)?

Last edited:

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
I had that code and it wasn't the wiring, it was the sensor itself. Ive also heard that the wiring sometimes goes bad.

I'd just buy a used 2jz knock sensor and throw it in there and see what happens.

I think i removed the power steering pump from the bracket when I did mine which turned out to be easy to get to that front knock sensor.

You can get to both of them from under the car using an extension and your hands as a guide since you wont be able to see what your doing....Ive done that too, but this last time I moved the PS pump out of the way and the front sensor is right back behind it.