How long do u idle your car before driving it?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i have 2 sets of keys, so i'll start the car lock it, and go do stuff, sometimes, i take a really long time :dunno: or i'll be waiting on my room mate (going to school)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I let it warm up until the oil pressure gets below 4 kg/cm^2 at idle. My oil analysis comes back with below normal wear (top and bottom end) every time with this method so I think I'll stick with it.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
If it's warm outside I start up and drive away gently. If it's cold outside I idle for a minute or two at most. I don't like to idle my car for extended periods of time.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
For the Sup in the garage, I would start it as im ready to leave and just leave, so a minute or less.

For the daily, it's until I can see out the front window... Frost. :3d_frown:
Most of the time ill leave as soon as it begins to clear though.

Supra_brothers

Super Lurker
Oct 18, 2005
TX
Not to long (25-45 seconds) i don't boost it at all until it gets up to a normal heat level in the engine so it evens out i guess

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
MRSUPRA said:
About 15 seconds if its not very cold outside...

Idling is not good for the car. The proper way is to start the car and drive off gentally. Go slow and take it easy until the car warms up. But don't idle it for a prolonged amount of time unless its below freezing outside.

I think this is the closest thing to right that I've seen. Toyota calls for it to idle for AT LEAST 10 seconds before driving. I wait a few seconds after I start it and then start counting to 10seconds in my head. I then slowly let off the clutch without giving it gas until first gear is fully engaged.

I also do not put load on my engine until it is fully warmed up ;).

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I just start it up and wait for my CD to start playing... it's some cheap POS that takes about 15-20 secs to load the mp3 files i guess. Then i drive off and wait for it to warm up.

I seen it written, and maybe it was IJ that posted it, Sure the engine may be warm when you let it sit and idle, but the trans/diff wont be.

If I'm running late to school it's straight out the garage and boosting once I hit the highway (the gauge will normally already be on the rise by then)
*edit*
But I always let the oil pressure build up, no matter the circumstances.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
most important part is not to let your engine get normal working temperature, but to let oil to spread thourgh out the engine (except u're running forged internals ;))

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
Nick M, Toyota recomends such short warm up time because of ecology regulations, on new cars manufacturers even recomend not to idle your car at all, but it doesnt mean that it's good for out engines ;)

PimpiNJ253

Supraless
Sep 15, 2006
Kent, Washington
www.myspace.com
the first about ten or so minutes after i start her i go down a hill so i just start and go or warm it up while gettin the finishing shit i needa get done inside. my girlfriend usually requests me to warm her up..

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Ok, now we know how long you let it idle, but I have another question.

How long do you LOOK at your car before you drive it?

I find I'm staring at it for no apparent reason for a good 30 seconds before and after I drive it LOL

Last edited:

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
bigaaron said:
How long do you LOOK at your car before you drive it?

I find I'm staring at it for no apparent reason for a good 30 seconds before and after I drive it LOL
Yeah, me too, what's up with that???? I check out my car after I park it as I'm walking away and also when I approach it. I don't know, I just like the way it looks. I'm sure the novelty will wear off in a couple of years.:biglaugh:

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
haha. Northeast ohio cold 30 degree nights now. I let her warm up for 5 minutes or so. She runs really rough cold, the tranny really hates running cold and won't go into second running redline heavy shockproof. I prefer to let the car idle until the revs drop, the oil pressure starts coming down, and the temp gauge just starts to move. Sometimes can take quite a while. but I havne't had any problems and idling doesn't really use that much gas at all (compared to 12psi at 5krpm).

I would like to add that I am guilty of checking out my car when I see it in the driveway, or when I come out of a store. There's nothing better than seeing your car in a crowded parking lot and realizing that there's no other car in that lot that I want more :)