How Long Did Your Stock Twins Last?

4doors

Oct 12, 2008
DFW
I recently picked up a ct-26 to send off for rebuilding and upgrading at Driftmotion. Im going to have them send it back with their adaptor kit and some other parts necessary to push a reliable 350+/- to the wheels in my 89 Cressida. It's not going to be doing anything that would require much more than that setup, I'm just looking for a fast and comfortable daily driver.

Before that or while I'm waiting for the parts to come back, I was looking to get the car running and driving on the stock ct-12's. This motor came from a jzx81 Chaser and looks to be relatively clean; or at least most of the crud on it is external and probably resulted from shipping and storage stateside rather than usage overseas.

I'm not going to be pushing the car or anything, and I don't really expect too much from the stock setup, but I heard from a few places that you can't really expect too much use from the twins before they give up. What have you guys seen as far as mileage on yours before you decided to swap them out? Any tips for extending the life on them? What did you eventually replace them with? Were you able to sell them or did you just junk them when you pulled them off?

Thanks!

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It really depends on how high you boost them and how hard you run them. If you boost them everyday @ 18psi, then they may not last very long. If you're boosting them to 11-12 psi then they may last you a year or longer. It just depends on how good of shape they're in now and how well you treat them in the future. Good luck.

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
My dad ran his at about 16 psi for a year and a half almost before pulling the motor apart and they are still in good condition, but i've seen some blow on the first drive after a swap.

rayray

:)
Nov 12, 2007
Torrance, CA
my first set grenaded one after the other within a span of 3 months since the 1JZ was swapped in. most likely just a bad set. the ceramic wheel pretty much completely discintegrated into bits on both turbos. the second set i pulled off my spare 1J has lasted me nearly 4 yrs until i replaced them with a single. they are in absolutely great condition, zero smoke, made 280whp at a hair under 13lbs of boost with a cat and 3" exhaust on stock ecu. i'm going to throw them back on the spare motor and put them into a daily

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
i had my CT-12s for about six months running at 14PSI before they went. then swaped those ones out for a "newer" set, and been runing those ever since.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Mine were all daily driven, 1 yr on stock bpu boost, 1 yr on 19psi. Turbos were still good, one of the oil seals busted out. I ditched those for my gt28r kit thats not gone as well.

4doors

Oct 12, 2008
DFW
foreverpsycotic;1191638 said:
1k miles. Going single now, with a HX35w.

cool idea, let me know how that one works out. i knew of a guy that picked up a holset hx- or hy35 from a dodge truck in a junkyard for cheap, built a minimalist setup for his KA24 and was pushing some great numbers.

ma71tt

1jz came up!!!!
Sep 28, 2007
Anaheim
My first set lasted about 3 years running 14psi, they caved about a month ago, and i got a new set, running the same boost and those only lasted about a month before they blew. 1JZGE is no fun:3d_frown: