how is the stock radiator sealed off on the sides?

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
I am in the process of putting a new koyo stock-replacement radiator in. I was noticing the big gaps I have around the edges of the radiator and wondering if there were any extra parts stock to seal it up. My radiator is in the correct position. I am thinking of wedging in some pipe insulation foam to plug up the gaps around the sides. Any thoughts?

p280385_1.jpg

p280385_2.jpg

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
That is the front of my radiator. I don't have any AC, so the condensor isn't in front of the radiator anymore. The top picture is the driver's side and the 2nd pic is the pass. side.

I couldn't find any additional parts in the parts catalog that looked like a rock catcher or ducting. I bet the AC condensor sealed it up better.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
there are plastick strip that go there and the wireing has fome around ti

your are missing them better call the po po to find out who stole them

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Plastic air guides on both sides.

You can make them easy, or buy some if they still exist from the OEM. (Toyota.)

Since you don't have your AC, I'd see about making your own out of thin flexable plastic. It does not have to be super sturdy, but it will help at low speeds when the air is being drawn over the radiator by your fan. (You don't want to pull hot engine bay air around the sides and over your core, that's all the air guides too.)

Do you still have your fan shroud? I highly reccomend using them. Also make sure your fan clutch is in good working order. When it's hot, it should be difficult to spin the fan with the engine off. When cold it should be easy, but not freewheel. (If it freewheel's when hot, then your clutch should be replaced.) I just replaced mine with a NAPA part, and at 62.00 and change it was about 1/2 the price the local Toyota dealer wanted.

At highway speeds, the under tray helps to keep the air flowing over your radiator too. (Without it, the air comes in the grille, and then dumps under the car v/s going through the core fins/tubes...)