How is one SUPPOSED to adjust idle speed?

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
my car was idling fine at 650 2 days ago, I just fired it up and it sat at 1k for a while and I was hoping it would go down but it didn't, so I tapped the throttle and it still just dropped back to around 1k. Should I just check my vaccum lines and ISC and TPS? It's kinda bugging me. I'm also running rich for some reason...(blowing smoke which isn't antifreeze/oil) I'll have to pull the code and see what it's doing.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The screw you mentioned is for setting base idle. It has no other function, an analysis of the paths through the trottle body makes this clear. Assuming you have checked all other things (vac leaks, ect) you can reset base idle by jumpering T and E1 at the diag connector. This will open the ISC loop and drive the ISC stepper to the default position. You *must* do this or you'll simply end up with the ISC loop chasing it's tail as you try to adjust.

After jumpering T and E1 you may then adjust idle to specs. I agree however, your idle problem is probably somethinge else and you should not adjust base idle until you are sure nothing else is wrong. Fwiw...

Gary

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Great information for the underinformed.

jetjock said:
The TCCS technical manual spells it all out.

Sounds different than the TSRM; is it available online? I'd love to know more about the mechanics of the TCCS!

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
"And just for the record, PSI does NOT equal flow. I can block your oil passage and you'll get full PSI on your gauge and your engine will blow up from lack of oil."
SO THERE!!

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
"And just for the record, PSI does NOT equal flow. I can block your oil passage and you'll get full PSI on your gauge and your engine will blow up from lack of oil."
SO THERE!!

Funny... :momaru:

---------------------------------------
After jumpering T and E1 you may then adjust idle to specs.

Thanks Gary for finally clearing this up as it has been a problem for many members, and I had questions about this too. :drink1:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Supraman7mgte: I'm confused. I never said pressure equals flow. That's very basic stuff so why would anyone think that? They're interelated though. Frankly, anyone not understanding the difference shouldn't be working on anything more complex than a lawnmower. Perhaps you were confusing me with somone else.

Supraman: The TSRM is a consumer publication. The TCCS manuals are internal Toyota training documents. They're not online as far as I know. You may wish to try eBay, sometimes third party training firms sell versions and other training materials. Search on TCCS. Might be able to order it from a dealer too but I'm not sure about that.

Smagnotta: You're welcome. The thing to remember is shorting T and E1 has an effect on all three (EFI, ESA, ISC) TCCS systems. It doesn't only effect ignition timing. Toyota doesn't tell all in the TSRM cuz they don't want just anyone messing with things. Based on some of the stuff I read on auto forums I can understand why.