how does (our) brake system work?

supra_dre

Apr 1, 2005
i cant see what would be "squeezing" the pads together to stop the rotors. All the pads are doing is sitting on the caliper, which is METAL, so what is making them squeeze onto the rotors when we brake? been bothering me alot so I had to ask.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
the pistons...

MOST brake systems work exactly the same give or take a few odds and ends...

basically you push the brake pedal down...it pushes a rod in the master cylinder...this causes the hydraulic fluid to be dispersed throughout the lines and to the calipers( obviously most systems use proportioning and balancing valves etc but for the sake of simplicity ill leave that out lol). the fluid goes through the lines to the pistons in the calipers. which then extend with the hydraulic pressure outwardas and with the pads put clamping force on the rotor. this in turn causes friction..friction is work.therefore slowing the rotor/wheel/car.

basically the big circles you put the brake pads over...are pistons...and thats what forced the pads onto the rotors.

*disclaimer...obviously many different types of braking systems as well as disc and drum...but im trying to keep it simple per this question ;)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Hydraulic fluid pushes the piston on the inside towards the rotor, this causes pressure on the inside pad, because the caliper is on 2 sliders, it is also pulling on the other side, causing pressure on the outside pad, pretty evenly I might add, unless the sliders are gunked up. :)