How do you remove a sheered diff mounting bolt?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Okay, this may sound totally stupid, but I am running on fumes here with little time and little sleep. Darn work.

Anyhow, the diff mounting bolt on the passenger side was found to be sheered off.

We tried to remove it. Thinking it was screwed on. Was free spinning. Wouldn't grip to be removed. Was able to stick a finger into the hole next to the mounting bolt and felt a castle bolt in there.

The problem is, how in the world do you remove this stripped bolt? Is it welded in there?

Seems like there is no access to nut... and no way to get inside to get the sheered bolt out.

I am guessing the only solution would be to drill the old sheered bolt out of there, but I want to verify this before moving forward.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
ugh... pics. forgot to take some. Will attempt to get pics tomorrow when there is light.

Yeah... darn it... Torch it up? UGH!

Was hoping all I would have to do was drill that sheered bolt out. Felt like the castle nut was welded on. Dunno though.

This is crazy.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
gaboonviper85;1418481 said:
You are probably gonna have too cut a hole in the subframe then torch the castle nut off the bolt....then patch the subframe:-(

I had to do this twice already:icon_bigg Cut the subframe on the inner side that's towards the diff. Take the bolt out somehow, weld a new bolt in, weld subframe.

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
darn, no access to a welder. nor am i that much of a great mechanic... just a novice....

who would i go to to pay to get this done?

anyone have an idea how much it would cost?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Can't believe this seems so hard.

Well, I have a local shop here (pretty good one) that is gonna look at the problem and attempt to fix it for me... hopefully it won't be too expensive, as it's only one bolt.

Anyone have any idea how much this might cost?

The shop didn't really give me a price quote yet.