how do u test a motor out of the car

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
i wanna check to see what conidtion that my other motor is in. i have it in my garage. i was thinking about doing a compression check. other than that i am at a loss. any info will help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Or checking bearing clearances. But at that point might as well replace them while your at it.

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
what kind of numbers am i looking for. not quite sure how a leakdown test works. does it test the amount of compression at tdc and the amount of compression that bleeds out somewhere

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
what it does set the piston your working on to tdc compression stroke so valves closed screw the hose in the sp hole connect the leak down gauges an hook air compressor. it a lot better then a compression test beacause itll make sure your valve seals are also sealing also. i think up to 10% difference is alright (someone can jump in and correct that its been awhile since ive really needed to use one) and you can find the specs in the factory manual ive got the toyota manual and its 1300 pages long i dont feel like going thru it all right now but i do know its in there i have seen it

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
is this for like a rebuilt motor? the reason i ask,not to hi-jack, but ive been rebuilding my motor and im wondering if there is a way to "test" the motor in my garage before i put it in the car and then find out i have a leak somewhere. any ideas?