how do u know if turbo is bad?

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
I bought a 89turbo that has 100k on it...the car sat for 5 years...i assumed it was bad...i dident get the tittle straightened out yet and i dont have insurance or anything so im not driving it any place...im in the middle of doing plugs and wires ect... i was getting to the turbo to take it off and have it rebuilt but i looked at it and it spins freely and has no shaftplay...should i just assume its good for now? is there another way of checking besides taking it out and driving it cuz its sorta apart and i dont have the papers yet like i said..

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
id say it sounds like it is ok still. if theres no shaft play (radially, or back and forth) then dont sweat it. since the car has sat for some time crank it over some to get the oil flowing and thats about it.

if its blown it will smoke like a mofo. start the car and let it warm up some and give it some gas in neutral. look for puffs of smoke when you let off as this can be indicitave of a turbo on its way out.

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
not smoking it all..the fins look a tad dark..like a light brown...but no chips or anything like that...the exhaust is totally screwed..its factory..but rusted like nothing else...maybe its hindering flow even more since its so old and in bad shape..im replacing it before the car goes back on the rd.