How do i test for boost leaks?

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
I have an 88 turbo with intake, bic ddp, test pipe, and 3 in cat back. i boost 7/8 pounds usually, but ive been hearing that with my mods it should be higher. is this correct? and how can i test for boost leaks? ive done some searching, but i figured just asking experienced 7mgte owners on here would give me the best info.
:1zhelp:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you would have looked through even a couple threads on the front page you would have found this thread which had that link within the first page...:3d_frown:

Please try and search the forum a bit more thoroughly so we don't find end up just repeating ourselves over and over and over.

And just FYI, I have similar mods on my car and I'm making 12psi (+ fuel cut :icon_conf). I do have a 57-trim CT26 and a 2.5" IC pipe kit too though.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
radiod;1429869 said:
If you would have looked through even a couple threads on the front page you would have found this thread which had that link within the first page...:3d_frown:

Please try and search the forum a bit more thoroughly so we don't find end up just repeating ourselves over and over and over.

And just FYI, I have similar mods on my car and I'm making 12psi (+ fuel cut :icon_conf). I do have a 57-trim CT26 and a 2.5" IC pipe kit too though.

your making 12psi off the wastegate? im also pushing 7-8 i thought thats what i was supposed to lol.

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
my car pushed 4 lbs when i got it. i put in one set of washers which bumped it up to 5, then my mods have made it increase to 7/8. should i just shim the wastegate more? havent dont the boost leak test yet. just had another question. thanks.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
crimson88;1430570 said:
my car pushed 4 lbs when i got it. i put in one set of washers which bumped it up to 5, then my mods have made it increase to 7/8. should i just shim the wastegate more? havent dont the boost leak test yet. just had another question. thanks.

Only 4psi originally? You must have a boost leak, further shimming of the wastegate would just be a band-aid for the real problem (and not a good idea)

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
ben1984j;1430614 said:
Only 4psi originally? You must have a boost leak, further shimming of the wastegate would just be a band-aid for the real problem (and not a good idea)

it was all original when i got it. i just figured that the wastegate spring had weakened like ive heard about.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
crimson88;1430970 said:
it was all original when i got it. i just figured that the wastegate spring had weakened like ive heard about.

Yeah that is possible actually (should have thought of that since I had the same thing happen to me) but from what I've seen that's much less common than having a boost leak...

You can test the wastegate actuator though, then you will be able to rule out (or pinpoint) your wastegate as the cause of the problem. It's not hard, and the procedure is in the TSRM...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=TC&P=7