Horn Turns on Headlights

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Mission Viejo/San Diego, CA
The other day when one of my buddies and i were playing a little cut the other off on the freeway... i ran into something of an interesting problem... he cut me off and pressed on my horn to honk at him and to my surprise my headlights turned on and gave him a little wink... keep in mind though my horn has been working fine for awhile has anyone had this problem?! And if you did what was the cause?!

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
LOLOL

you hit the horn and your lights came on? :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

:wtf:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Burntz said:
LOLOL

you hit the horn and your lights came on? :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

:wtf:

lol, that's kinda cool, but kinda not, Im kinda confused? what? :(

I'm gonna go sleep now, a good laugh before I do though, good luck!

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Yes it is still doing now i don't know if it has anything to do with my new harness out of a 91t because i've had the new harness in there for awhile and the horn has been working fine. do you guys think maybe the horn is out and the car is using the lights as a temporary signal?! Man this is so weird!?

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
haha! When I first bought my car and it was sitting in front of my house with the front end taken apart (bought it wrecked), I honked the horn for the hell of it and the headlights popped up! I remember posting on here or SF and I don't think anyone believed me! LOL

idowhatagain

Jul 21, 2006
Z'mnypit thanks for not high jackng my thread but your car is sick though... and daemon you had the same problem too?! thank god i'm not alone... what did you do to fix it or is your car still just sitting in front of your house...?

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
idowhatagain said:
Z'mnypit thanks for not high jackng my thread but your car is sick though... and daemon you had the same problem too?! thank god i'm not alone... what did you do to fix it or is your car still just sitting in front of your house...?
Sorry man! You'll get it figured out soon enough. Just be patient.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I could imagine it happening if someone decided to rewire the security system to use the regular horn so they could remove the dedicated horn.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Ok, you have an '87 Turbo with a '91 Turbo wire harness... I vote either something's hooked up incorrectly or you have a funked up relay...

I know this isn't quite the same, but a headlamp relay in my Solara went bad (it was actually an aftermarket one, I was going for HIDs)... Whenever I put both my turn signal on and my rear window defrost on my car would stall out completely, even in motion... It was really weird... If I had my headlamps on and put EITHER the turn signal OR the rear defrost on, the drivers side light would dim completely off... When I put them both on at the same time, the car would simply turn off...

So check your wiring thoroughly, and check your headlamp relays... Either way, you can get some trippy stuff going on if something's not right!!!

Good luck,

-James

Whacky stuff...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
theprodigy79 said:
Ok, you have an '87 Turbo with a '91 Turbo wire harness... I vote either something's hooked up incorrectly or you have a funked up relay...

I know this isn't quite the same, but a headlamp relay in my Solara went bad (it was actually an aftermarket one, I was going for HIDs)... Whenever I put both my turn signal on and my rear window defrost on my car would stall out completely, even in motion... It was really weird... If I had my headlamps on and put EITHER the turn signal OR the rear defrost on, the drivers side light would dim completely off... When I put them both on at the same time, the car would simply turn off...

So check your wiring thoroughly, and check your headlamp relays... Either way, you can get some trippy stuff going on if something's not right!!!

Good luck,

-James

Whacky stuff...

This happened to me in a Chevy Tracker but the battery AND alternator weren't too good. The car was recently bought when it started this. turns out the battery was almost dead and alternator wasn't working properly so it wasn't charging it enough. So putting on the headlights too soon after I started to drive would cut me off, same with signalling, but when it charged up a bit with some driving, all turn signals did was dim the lights and slow the car a bit.

weirdness, I loved that car, was my bro's. head was gone, re-did it. Bottom started to knock, sold it. I love(d) that car. Off-topic now...

So yea! sounds like it may be the ecu was incorrectly installed...possibly :icon_razz

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
I had a similar problem, the wires cross in the wiring for the radio of all places. try this as a possible solution, pull the radio fuse and see if it fixes the problem.