horn noise from intake

gpauto89t

Dec 3, 2009
Grants pass
i am getting a loud horn noise coming from my intake. it is only when i have the turbo spooling around 0 vac/boost and only under load. it boost perfectly with no hesitation and no loss of power. only when holding the throttle steady the noise is apparent, it sounds like a high pitch humm almost like a boat horn. it has been doing this for several months and am getting very tired of it. i had someone put the car in drive and holt the brake and ebrake and spool up the turbo to around 0 vac/boost and the sound is coming out of the k@n filter. it almost feels like it is related to the throttle but i'm not sure, i'v checked for shaft play and boost leaks but nothin. somebody help please.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Inspect the inside of the filter and everythign from the point where the air actually enters the system all the way to the turbo. Could be a piece of plastic packaging wrap. Plastic packaging in a tube thats getting air pulled through it can make crazy kazooo like noises.

gpauto89t

Dec 3, 2009
Grants pass
here is a video with the camera next to the intake while im driving , it is loud so be ready to adjust your speakers. tell me what u think runnin 9psi kn filter 3inch full exhaust except the elbow just to let u know

Attachments

• 1267683140256..jpg
    1267683140256..jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 19

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Do you have the stock bypass valve, or do you have an aftermarket BOV? If it's stock its a good chance your bypass valve is opening slightly at part throttle. It tends to make a low horn sound at part throttle under load. At least mine did.

gpauto89t

Dec 3, 2009
Grants pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxN2R00iwYA
there is the video it is with my droid wrapped up in a shirt placed by my intake. it seems like the horn problem is more to do with the position of the throttle than the actual boost level. when it horns it is after i boost or just smoothly accerlerate and bring it down right around 0 vac which is barely pushing my throttle down. i have 0 turbo lag, great throttle response, and i have a bosch bypass valve. it kinda makes sense that the noise would be coming from the bypass valve being half open or such but the noise is very loud and still there i believe when the bypass valve is unhooked i will double check and it was doing it with the stock bypass so i switched to the bosch maybe i need to hook up my aftermarket one. hope u guys can help sorry about the delay video too long