Hooking up Speed sensor on 2jzgte

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Hey guys and gals,

Has anyone tried wiring in there speed sensor input for the 2jzgte through there abs speed sensor in the r154 trans? If so can you please help me with which wire would provide that.

If not which wire plug and which wire color would the input come from in the gauge cluster?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The R154 uses the mechanical cable to provide speed to the MKIII speedometer. The speedometer has a speed output (pink wire) to the ECU, which you use to give the 2J ECU the speed signal.

Is that what you're asking?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Satan;1846420 said:
The R154 uses the mechanical cable to provide speed to the MKIII speedometer. The speedometer has a speed output (pink wire) to the ECU, which you use to give the 2J ECU the speed signal.

Is that what you're asking?

Correct post.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Well I traced the wire down. It was pinned in the wrong pin. I'm guessing a buddy of mine when he wired in my avc-r repinned it wrong. Anyways i'm still not getting a signal. My speedo is hooked up and my speedo works great. I used a test light and i'm not getting any type of signal from the pink wire. I've heard of the speed pick up having problems and not working anymore. Does anyone know how you go about fixing this?

Thanks

Matt

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'd try another speedo... The other thing I am doing is installing a digital sender on the R154 (where mechanical cable went) to produce the signal to the ECU and for the Apexi Rev/Speed Meter I'm installing.

I have several clusters around... will look-see if I have an extra speedo. What year is yours, 1988?

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Thanks Satan, I've got 2 more speedo's one is a 1987 n/a speedo the other is a 1988 auto turbo speedo. I've give one a shot tonight. The only thing i'm worried about is the odometer being off.

My car is a 1988.

how difficult is the conversion? mark1987supra and I may also try to run it off the abs wheel sensor or the trans sensor and see if that works.

Matt

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
You can't run it directly off the ABS sensor as it outputs a 20ppr signal and your ECU is looking for a 4ppr (produced by the speedo or a digital sender).

However, the ABS computer converts it to a 4ppr signal for use in sending to the ECU. I've successfully converted my friend's 1JZ to use this signal. You can grab it from the plug going to the 7Ms ECT computer. It's a blue and yellow wire.

The 7M ECT computer uses this signal in conjunction with the signal from the speedometer to operate the automatic transmission. Only one signal is required, I believe there's two in the event that if one fails you still can shift. The factory TCCS chooses the cleaner signal if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if this wire exists in originally 5 speed chassis'. No matter what, the signal should exist on all ABS units. So it's just a matter of finding that L-Y wire (or the pin of the plug it's supposed to be in).

You won't get anything from a test light.

Look for 'ECT' in this diagram:
Main_106.gif

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Thanks rick, ive removed my abs computer and the car has been converted to non abs but maybe i can at least put the cpu back in. Is there any way of checking the speed sensor pulse?

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Thanks Rick, I swaped the speedo out last night and received signal after that :) . Needless to say we had fun with the launch control after that lol.

Thanks everyone.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I wanted to revive this thread because i'm having another issue. I got my speed sensor to work fine for the longest time then all the sudden it stopped. Ok probably just the speedo going bad swapped it out. Still didn't work drove the car for awhile. My avc-r started picking up a reading again as if it was working fine. Hooked the launch control back up car still was hitting the limitor. Plugged the lap top in. The speed reading is bouncing all over the place not accurate at all. Now keep in mind my avc-r speed sensor wire is tapped in about 2 inches away from the ecu so theres not much wire that can be messed up. Does anyone have any ideas would could be causing this? Loose pin maybe? Maybe the Avc-r is more or less sensative?

Thanks

Matt