Holset turbo on 1jz?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
durable, yes. Diesels heat ranges rise and fall much faster than a regular gasoline. The main reason for my concern was when the boost hits. I doubt its smooth by any means. But if it works for you use it. I would compare the airflow chart with one of a comparable turbo. Then you could tell the difference.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
aphxero said:
. Can you please elaborate on what part of the design would make it so unsuitable for a gas engine?

Yes please do because that would be great!..... A turbo is an air pump and injectors spray fuel hhhmmmm tune them to match each other thats it.

Its that simple:madfawk:.

You guys that are missing the point of this Holset setup. Price does not = equality even though in most cases you get what you pay for, but this is not one of these cases. These turbos make good power and are very reliable so whats issue?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
tturnpaw said:
ok first of all, if youve researched it at all you would know greddy and HKS are all overpriced and the quality is of that most dual bb turbos.

Second, about "tried and true" name a car with a holset that wasnt diesel. I guess what people dont understand is the diesel turbos (im not sure if the aftermarket ones are the same as these) are designed for something that has 20:1 compression and above! That meaning if you put just a regular turbo on one, it would prob overspool mostly to the point of wearing out the bearing in at least twice the time it would take a normal gasoline engine and then eat an impeller blade.

I can tell you now, the reason most havent done it, is for the research they have done regarding design, and thats why high horsepower CARS dont run them. And another reason why spend lots of money on an engine swap then cheap when its turbo time?

oh and this was an information thread. Read the title not which is better, but it would include why or why not use the turbo.

QFT

99% of all "performance" turbos use parts that were OEM diesel setups.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Turbo's like Precisions have different wheel trims and designs for gasoline engines. It's why my 65mm can have full spool at 4k rpms on a 1jz.

I 100% agree. Why swap in a 1JZ, bolt off the twins, and upgrade to single, to a crappy cheap one? Seems like a waste of time to me. Totally defeats the purpose.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well, I was looking for some more power and more durability. The stock turbos are garbage. I was blowing them up every 3 months. As far as why go with a cheap turbo? I've already covered that like 100 times.

I don't think the 1j is above a cheap turbo. In Japan it's factory nothing special. Besides I got the motor for less than $1k. For all I care it can blow up tomorrow I'm just having fun.

I'm not sure where this is going any more but I hope other people can use information in this thread to make their own conclusions. Tonight's dyno session will settle a lot of arguments., I just hope I don't pwn myself haha ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
lol @ this thread....:3d_frown:

cant wait to see it on the dyno to prove these haters wrong.. i would like to see ric dyno and show that the gt4088 is better..

Last edited:

fstsupra

Jan 12, 2006
IDAHO
WOW !! Honestly if everyone sharded ric's feelings nothing would ever get done, we would still be cranking our cars over by hand. To SAY TRied and true method is the only way thats just ignorant. The way hp is made is by trying new things. If ur a show car thats fine trailer it around show off ur bling rev ur engine once park it till u can get more Bling and NAME Brand parts. But those that are trying something new i commend you, your the type that make THE TRIED AND TRUe possible in the first place. for the rest that are to chicken shit to do somthing new themselves go spend 2-3k for a turbo 1k for ur manifold 1500 for ur intercooler. It will probley look good and i bet it will work great, but next time ur trailering ur car to a show to get sponcers get in the magazines what ever stop off and test ur bling against some ugly fast cars at the strip. And yes it does take money to make a car fast that or a brain, if u wish to go with all high end expensive parts u might as well go out and buy a viper its tried and true gets 500hp... that just seams boring to me. Now im guesing u will attack my grammer spelling because i have frustrated u with common sence :(

Congrats on the car and setup hope it works out great if not keep trying ull get it.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I've been following this formerly informative thread for a little while now, and it certainly has taken a turn. Holset seems like another alternative and this thread has peak'd my interest in them. I'm geussing the real reason you don't see many holset turbo's is the lack of good information.

For those that have researched turbos, you would know that what matters in a turbo is not the application the turbo came from, but does the compressor fit your needs, and can you find a suitable turbine housing for your application. I'm far from any kind of expert, but those seemed to be the important things I found after a little research. Holset seems to be a match in these areas.

Yes they are diesel turbos and as such are designed to run higher pressure ratios but from the little bit I have found with my limited knowledge, they seem like a good fit if you plan on 15+ lbs of boost.

Here are some HX/HY-35 maps. Boost pressure at 20 psi (pressure ratio calculated from that), with cfm plotted from 500 to 8000 rpm. Pre-2003 HX-35 in Green. 2003 - 2004.5 HY-35 in Black. 2004.5 - Present HY-35 in Red. This is for 2.0L of displacment. (Excuse the updated graph, as I have some small changes yet to make to the fonts and scales, but the maps are correct.)
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1201146&postcount=9

The newer hx40 with the "Map Width Enhancement" housing sounds like a great turbo but I can't find any maps, LINKS anyone?

These "diesel" turbos seem to be on a variety of applications from 1.6 litre hondas, 2.0L nissans and DSMs, svo stangs, audis, volvos and 450+ ci big blocks.

Here is a holset powered svo mustang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7-E-EzTFw&mode=related&search=

And the only supra relavent video I could find an hx40 powered 7m
http://www.amworks.com/video/supra01.mpg
http://www.amworks.com/video/supra02.mpg

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Ric said:
I'm not brainwashed, I just use what's proven in the world of turbocharging JZ motors. I got too much money invested to "experiment". That's fine if someone wants to try them out for a low budget setup. Alot of people, including myself, won't even use that turbo EVEN if it worked good just because of what brand it is. Sorry, but that's just how it is. I didn't get several sponsors to show around the southeast region of the US using cheap parts.

You are a low budget setup. You are running a ceramic coated Chinese manifold. Until you start running HKS, Blitz, Greddy, Virtual Works, or other such brands, you are on a budget setup. Yeah, yeah, I read your other threads on the welds and how much better Rudy's supplier is, but it is still an overpriced Chinese manifold. I am not knocking anyone who runs them, but don't pretend to be something that you aren't.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Keep up the good work ..... post the results and show Mr. Ric that there is a difference between cheap and cost effective

Last edited:

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
neither can i...we will see whos proven what when the power/torque curves are shown.

tissimo said:
lol @ this thread....:3d_frown:

cant wait to see it on the dyno to prove these haters wrong.. i would like to see ric dyno and show that the gt4088 is better..

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Went to intec today for some tuning. This is about an hours work. Not really perfect but a good start.

12psi for you ric :)

p597736_1.jpg

dyno 001=10psi
dyno 020=14psi

p597736_2.jpg

Turbo was $250 well spent.

Last edited:

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
congrats, will there be any video's? A dyno run perhaps, or maybe a little drive.

What turbo and exhaust housing is this again?
How's it feel for lag now that you've had some experience with it?
Inquiring minds want to know:naughty:

fstsupra

Jan 12, 2006
IDAHO
nice broad power band from 4500 on ur in power for most of the power band not only that ur most likly shifting into boost !!! way nice dude!!! congrats when my stock turbos go ill do the same use nitrous to insty spool but it looks good for ur aplication

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
For those not willing to read back thru the thread.

Specs are:
Holset hx35 turbo
ChinaManifold
Tial 44mm
3" spl DP
3" exhaust no cat
MKIV 550s
Megasquirt EFI
Home depot boost controller

I'll give impressions after driving more. And video.

Last edited:

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I WAS reading back through the thread but thought I'd be helpfull to have the info here at the end so everyone wouldn't have to go back and look through it as its getting kinda long.
I only looked at the first 2 pages, geuss I should have looked at one more ;)
Looking forward to the video.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Okay edited with electronics.

The real test will be at the track. I think there's a drift event on 5/11. I'll be sure about it after that. I might just take it to the drag strip just for you guys too :)

fstsupra: Yeh with the 4.30 back there It lands square in boost! I didn't really play with the timing below 130kpa so i think I can get it to build boost a little quicker. The tune is still really rough and it will get a lot better. If I end up not liking it there's always the BEP turbine housing. But so far so good.

Last edited: