Holset oil feed restrictor sizing

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
So as we know the Holsets need a restrictor due to the oil pressure being too high for these turbos

What size restrictor are you guys using on the holset turbos? The ball bearing turbos need a restrictor about .035", and I have seen restrictors for journal bearing turbos anywhere from .065" to .100".

Here Is the method I am planning on going with for a restrictor:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...or-garrett-channel-bearing-non-bb-turbos.html

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Guy's, I've been there.
I can't remember the size that i used but i'll check and post it asap.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I have a running 1JZ w/ a Holset HE351CW. I have a -4an feed with no restriction. I'm not saying that anybody who says this won't work doesn't know what they're talking about, but I've had no problems. No smoke on startup, no smoke under boost, no burning oil. Again, to each his own but I've had no problems with this setup. Granted, this is after only 2 months of DD'ing it. Maybe the problems everyone talks about will come up later on but for now I'm going to run it the way it is.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
rob21a48422;1438443 said:
I have a running 1JZ w/ a Holset HE351CW. I have a -4an feed with no restriction. I'm not saying that anybody who says this won't work doesn't know what they're talking about, but I've had no problems. No smoke on startup, no smoke under boost, no burning oil. Again, to each his own but I've had no problems with this setup. Granted, this is after only 2 months of DD'ing it. Maybe the problems everyone talks about will come up later on but for now I'm going to run it the way it is.

Cool thanks for the info. What kind of oil pressure does the 1jz typically have at higher RPM?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Holsets were not designed to go over 45-60 psi of oil pressure at WOT.

They require massive air filters, and free flowing 3" + exhaust.

They also require a proper working oil drain system (nothing smaller than -10), and a proper working PCV system.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
I had a HX35 on my Supra provided by Jon (MDC) (see my avatar). It was a great turbo, but it did in fact require an oil restrictor. It was fine unless you went over 3000 rpm then it would smoke like MAD! Put the restrictor in it and problem solved! The turbo spooled ridiculously fast and made great power. It was almost too snappy for my liking. And you MUST use an external waste gate. I ran without one and built 28psi with the holset waste gate functional AND bored out.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
MDCmotorsports;1493900 said:
Holsets were not designed to go over 45-60 psi of oil pressure at WOT.

They require massive air filters, and free flowing 3" + exhaust.

They also require a proper working oil drain system (nothing smaller than -10), and a proper working PCV system.
I noticed my pre-1998.5 HX-35 with 8 compressor blades (not post 1998.5 w/ 7-blades & undivided T3) has a 2.5" I.D. past the turbine to a 3" V-band. Obviously, a bolt on housing/elbow would yield a 3"+ I.D. but it came with this detachable V-band housing (picture attached). That has to kill some top end now that I think of it. I'd be worried if I wasn't looking for something larger for 550+ wheel for the future.

SupraDupra500;1501175 said:
I had a HX35 on my Supra provided by Jon (MDC) (see my avatar). It was a great turbo, but it did in fact require an oil restrictor. It was fine unless you went over 3000 rpm then it would smoke like MAD! Put the restrictor in it and problem solved! The turbo spooled ridiculously fast and made great power. It was almost too snappy for my liking. And you MUST use an external waste gate. I ran without one and built 28psi with the holset waste gate functional AND bored out.
A buddy of mine, before last summer, tried the same thing but replacing the flapper with a chevy exhaust valve from an old big block and still had some spiking but not as bad as yours. Granted it was with the WH1C, but it's almost identical.

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 13