HKS wastegate problems??

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Now that I have figured out how to hook my AVCR boost controller to my HKS external wastegate(thanks to Chevyeater and a couple others on Supraforums), I still can't figure out why I'm overboosting. I decided to eliminate my boost controller and just route the vacuum line from the turbo compressor port straight to the side port of the wastegate. I figured this would regulate boost to the standard spring pressure(which is 16psi according to the former owner). Unfortunantly I can't hear the wastegate open until way past 20psi. Does anyone have any other advise on how to check to see if the wastegate is working properly? Thanks..

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
MRSUPRA said:
Now that I have figured out how to hook my AVCR boost controller to my HKS external wastegate(thanks to Chevyeater and a couple others on Supraforums), I still can't figure out why I'm overboosting. I decided to eliminate my boost controller and just route the vacuum line from the turbo compressor port straight to the side port of the wastegate. I figured this would regulate boost to the standard spring pressure(which is 16psi according to the former owner). Unfortunantly I can't hear the wastegate open until way past 20psi. Does anyone have any other advise on how to check to see if the wastegate is working properly? Thanks..

ICBW, but it sounds like the spring you have is holding the WG closed until you hit 20psi. If that's the case, you'll have to buy another spring. An AVCR doesn't open the waste gate, it delays it from opening.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I should make it clear that its not opening at 20psi, its opening way past 20psi, and I'm having to lift off the gas before blowing my motor.

I

itr206

Im sure you can feed pressure from a compressor into the WG to see at what exact pressure it opens up. Or take out the spring and check it out. See what its really at

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
you have it at the right port on the wg? the lower one (towards the bottom of the vavle?)

is it a realy Hks wg or a copy?

I

itr206

The bottom port is for Vac or MBC's, The top port is for EBC's.
At least thats how Tials work.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
itr206 said:
The bottom port is for Vac or MBC's, The top port is for EBC's.
At least thats how Tials work.
yea i was meaning when he bypassed the ebc.. but read he put it to the side port in his original post so i got :eek:wned: lol

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, without the AVCR solenoid connected, I have it hooked up to the bottom(side port) of the wastegate. I just left the top port open for now.

With the AVCR hooked up: I had the NC port hooked up to the the T with one line going to the compressor housing and the other line going to the bottom port of the wastegate. Then the COM port went to the top of the wastegate.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
I can't tell if you have the w/g plumbed correctly, because what I consider "top" port may be you bottom port and vice versa. Reference the APexi web site for more details: - http://apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/21.pdf (page 48 for external w/g).

Which HKS W/G are you using?
If the "high boost" problem persist after plumbing verifcation, then you'll need to remove the w/g and disassemble it to investigate what spring you have. All the HKS w/g springs are color coded w/r to spring pressure.

HTH

MRSUPRA said:
Yeah, without the AVCR solenoid connected, I have it hooked up to the bottom(side port) of the wastegate. I just left the top port open for now.

With the AVCR hooked up: I had the NC port hooked up to the the T with one line going to the compressor housing and the other line going to the bottom port of the wastegate. Then the COM port went to the top of the wastegate.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Thanks. So I guess what I'm asking is, do I have it hooked up properly to check it the wastegate is funtioning? I have the vacuum line running straight from the turbo compressor to the side(bottom) port of the wastegate.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
MRSUPRA said:
Thanks. So I guess what I'm asking is, do I have it hooked up properly to check it the wastegate is funtioning? I have the vacuum line running straight from the turbo compressor to the side(bottom) port of the wastegate.
yea its hooked up correctly. I would get a air compressor and test to see where it opens w/ it off the car...

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Just as a little follow up.. I removed my wastegate last night. The wastegate looked to be funtioning fine with no sticking or too high spring pressure. I was stumped until I noticed a little sctach on my vacuum line thats connects to the side port of the wastegate. Well, it turned out that the scratch was a big slice going all the way through my brand new silicone vacuum line. It must have happened somehow when I was installing it. Oh well, its fixed and working now!!