HKS SSQV sound when shifting at vacuum

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
Hi guys,

a quick question about how my BOV sounds when I shift between 0 and 10-15vacuum, it is the purple HKS SSQV and it sound just like it should be when I shift with any boost 1-20psi (a big swoosh, no hesitation and no other noise after with a good turbo response afterwards)

but when i shift under vacuum it just goes like a boomerang sounding swoosh (really not as loud as when I boost and for really long) and I am just wondering about turbo surge because it seems like its not venting it to atmosphere enough (but i dont really hear any air coming out of the intake). I know its not that bad since its only in vacuum but if I could adjust it someways I'd like the BOV to have a fast response...

oh yeah, last week I fixed a big crack in the intercooler I had for a while and didnt see... and its making that sound since. I guess the air was coming out from there instead of the BOV.

I tried to adjust the two screws but didnt feel anychange, someone told me to unscrew as much as possible to have a quick BOV response but didnt work

long post, plz reply
:1zhelp:

THNX!

oh yeah and if its not clear enough ill try to post a video with sound..!!

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
SevenMKIII said:
Try this before doing any adjustments to your BOV:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718

And you should also know that it is unwise to vent your BOV to admosphere without switching over to speed density i.e. Maft Pro/VPC/standalone... search if you don't believe me

-Chris

Yeah i use the autronic SM2 standalone so i dont have an airflow meter, this is using Manifold absolute pressure to tune... I dont want any bypass valve i want to put around 20-25psi... the setup is all good but the sound just dont seem right

and the link you gave me is about boost leak... as i said i fixed that problem and I am just wondering if anyone have that very long (longer that usual) boomerang sound

Last edited:

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
ATL88Supra said:
thats how mine sounds but im useing the stock blow off and some crapy one that came on the car heh, i wouldent worry about it much just get a biger intercooler !!!!

my intercooler is good for 1000hp its even too big for the power I can get!!! Like I said before its about the sound not about the rest of the setup!!!!!
:evil2:

you can see half of my intercooler (hybrid HKS/spearco) and my BOV is located on the upper pipe near the throttle
http://www.supramania.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2284

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Im running that same BOV and I get that sound. I believe it is compressor surge. It happens because there is not enough air to push open the valve inside the BOV. I think you can use the adjustment screw, if yours has it (the newer ones dont) but I was told not to worry about it. Its been over 2 years and I have no turbo problems yet.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah i'm running a hks ssqv too and can hear surge when only hitting 1-3psi. at higher boost, it's fine. i have the screw out all the way. i thought it was a vacuum problem, but i have like 19 at idle and that supposed to be fine. i too was worried about this surge problem affecting my turbo's life.

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
I don't know how much this relates but my buddy was having the same problem with a tial bov on his skyline. We thought he wasn't getting good enough vac but after the ether test there were no leaks we could find. So after some thought came to the conclusion that if the vac was not enough to pull it at low rpm we could make it do less work. We put clp on the ''cylinder'' and it worked. It might help your response too but I'm unfamilliar with how the hks unit works. HTH.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
^ That's why Tial has different rated springs for a car's specific vacuum pull. For a supra, you would need an 11lb spring due to normal running vacuum being a little over 20hg/in

Booner7M

Sleepy bitch
Apr 9, 2005
Quebec City
www.7MPOWER.COM
starscream5000 said:
^ That's why Tial has different rated springs for a car's specific vacuum pull. For a supra, you would need an 11lb spring due to normal running vacuum being a little over 20hg/in

yeah right I got 20-22 psi at idle, I too was told not to worry about it but if I can change the spring maybe i'd do it.. can I get it right from HKS?

Like I said I use a custom intercooler with a HKS nest and spearco tanks, this was the first made by some welder here in quebec I think he only made one or two more... it is huge and doing the job flawlessly!!!! :naughty:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I don't think there's a spring you can change out on the HKS, being that there's no other options to change out to. Make absolutely sure you've got no problems with your vacuum going to the BOV all way back to the intake mani.