HKS intercooler kit jigsaw puzzle

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
hey guys, I recently picked up an HKS intercooler kit from someone off another forum, anyways, I didnt get the brackets, hardware or instructions for this thing, I have pretty much bit off more than I can chew and need some help, I searched and found bishop92t had posted up some pictures from what he got from the kit and basic instructions of where each pipe goes, thats probably not the biggest issue as when I started fitting the intercooler I have no clue how it is supposed to mount up, I suppose I need to remove/relocate the p/s cooler to make the core fit??? If anyone has some pictures of their install on the car that would be awesome or maybe original instructions, im sure it doesnt help I am installing this thing at night in my apartment parking lot:cry: . Thanks for the help guys!

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
if you dont have brackets to mount the IC to the car, just go to your local hardware store (home depot) and grab some metal strips and cut and drill and fit. as for the IC pipes, if they are precut and were previously fitted onto another supra, you should attach all the pipes and put the silicon couplers on and that will determine where to mount your intercooler.

btw: you might have to cut part of your hood latch support off, or you can mount the intercooler at an angle.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
JASONA70 said:
if you dont have brackets to mount the IC to the car, just go to your local hardware store (home depot) and grab some metal strips and cut and drill and fit. as for the IC pipes, if they are precut and were previously fitted onto another supra, you should attach all the pipes and put the silicon couplers on and that will determine where to mount your intercooler.

thats what I was thinking, I think homedepot calls it 'plumbers tape' which is actually pretty thick and perforated, I have no problem making brackets but my biggest concern is when I pulled to stock cooler and put the hks in place, the inlet (passenger side of the core) was hitting the frame rail.... I am aparently missing something, I cant move it closer to the passenger side with the stock p/s cooler, can I assume you have to remove it??? actually I think Im calling it wrong, Thats probably the oil cooler im talking about, it looks too big to be a p/s cooler.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
anybody have pics of their install??? Ive been searching on the net for three hours, my eyes burn.

Last edited:

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
alright, HKS wants 10 bucks for the instructions... so I called the guy I bought the kit from, he said he might be able to hook me up, he did mention the oil cooler has to be relocated and I might need to get the flex silicone couplers (will make it MUCH better)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
New couplers are easy and fairly cheap to get, that's what I'd go with anyways instead of someone elses old assed couplers most likely being held together by worm clamps.

t-bolt clamps, get some.

The oil cooler is a sinch to relocate, there's a bolt on the frame back behind the original mounting location that you can use to start your new mounting spot for the cooler.

Do like someone else said, fit up all the pipes first, it may take a while of mixing and matching, but you'll eventually get it, then worry about where you need to mount the IC.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
yeah, I think i figured it out, every picture I see on the top of the motor with the hks kit has the 'hump' or flex couplers, ive noticed that some of the pipe angles where two pipes will comes together are damn near impossible with straight couplers, its just asking for a boost leak. I thought the kit would have been of better fit but its all good, just need some better couplers and more tbolt clamps. Later guys.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
The kit worked just fine with straight couplers on my car, but it was a very tight fit. The one long pipe that has a bracket is supposed to bolt on to one of the bolts for the swaybar bracket. The clamps I provided are really nice quality liner clamps, I've never had a problem with one popping off when it was installed properly and you can get a good amount of torque on them with an 8mm ratchet or wrench. The couplers don't even have 6000 miles on them and are from HTS, so they're all in great shape. Definitely get ALL of the pipes mocked up before you tighten any of the pipes, you'll have to readjust and play with angles to get it just right.

I just checked my email and found the HKS instructions, PM me your email and I'll forward them to you.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
one thing I noticed the most was this crazy angle on the upper fender pipe to the lower fender pipe, it looks almost to be a 45 degree angle. I have to be doing something wrong.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Alright, so I figured out why I was getting some crazy angles, cause I was DOING IT WRONG! Zack hooked me up with some instructions, apparently the lower fender pipe goes underneath the passenger headlight and ABOVE the frame rail, not below, that threw me for a loop. The pipe angles looks great, fit on this thing is very tight, well engineered system, so far good kit, once I get the core mounted and all my couplers sinched up, I will take some pictures of the install for future potential HKS customers. If I get a gift certificate to the dyno, I will post numbers!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Buldozr,

I have the Kit as well installed on my car, if you want you can swing by and look at it. If you need couplers, fastturbo in haslet is a great place with great prices on couplers and t bolt clamps. I pm'd you my info!