hks f-con w/out fcd?

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
I've done some searching and can't find anything. I just bought an f-con but before I install it I was wondering if I can run it alright without the fcd. Anyone do this before? I ask because of all the bad things I've read over the years about the fcd. Also, I don't plan on installing the f-con until I have a wideband anyway. I guess the f-con combats the lean conditions the fcd causes, which is why its even paired with the f-con in the first place. As for mods they're in my sig. I'm planning on getting some 550s soon to go with my lex afm. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Its got the stock chip in there now. Wasnt planning on running the 550s on the stock chip. I just want to go ahead an get the fcon installed and working. Plan is to get the 550 chip when i get the new injectors.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I ran a fcon/vpc combo without a fcd and it worked fine. I never saw fuel cut either, and I ran up to about 20psi. Not sure this helps you, as you are asking just about the fcon itself.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Thanks for the info. I would assume it would be ok to run without it. Not like it affects the fcon itself in what it does. Guess I'll just snip those wires for it and see how it does.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
natedogr;1709885 said:
Thanks for the info. I would assume it would be ok to run without it. Not like it affects the fcon itself in what it does. Guess I'll just snip those wires for it and see how it does.

I would follow the HKS PFC F-con manual for how to run and set it up. I have been running HKS alphabet for about 16 years, starting with JUST F-con AND FCD on stock injectors and chip. Now I'm ALL the stuff, 550cc and still have no issues after MANY years and various combinations. I STILL run the FCD in my setup.

Hope that helps. Hit me up if you don't have access to the F-con manual and instructions.

p1709892_1.jpg

G/L!

-crisp

Last edited:

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Thanks crisp. You're the exact person I hoped would chime in ha. I've seen your setup and love it. When you started out with just the fcon and fcd with stock injectors were you running a wideband?

As for the manual I've found a few floating around. If I have any other questions I'll hit you up. Thanks!

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
natedogr;1709894 said:
Thanks crisp. You're the exact person I hoped would chime in ha. I've seen your setup and love it. When you started out with just the fcon and fcd with stock injectors were you running a wideband?

As for the manual I've found a few floating around. If I have any other questions I'll hit you up. Thanks!

LOL! I was very "low-brow" (uneducated... and still learning!) and did NOT know much of ANYTHING about the car or it's stock or HKS management systems. I understood air/fuel mixture, but did not have a MONITOR for it until I finally upgraded to 550cc injectors and began more "radical" tuning. (Still w/HKS alphabet soup!)

I DID have an EGT from very early on, and used that for feedback, but of course, it is NO replacement for an AFR (which is a MUST HAVE!) and I highly recommend BOTH as well as a narrow band, just because it helps diagnose some closed loop/steady state behaviors. (Or at least I have felt it benefit me a couple times... the rest of the time, it's a light show.:biglaugh:)

-crisp

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Ha I'm definitely still learning. And obviously I'm on to the tuning side of things now ha. My next purchase is definitely a wideband in the next few weeks before I install everything. I've read too many stories of unmonitored motors and the consequences to not use one.

And just to make sure, the chip in my fcon says D-1055. This is the stock injector chip right?

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
natedogr;1709936 said:
Ha I'm definitely still learning. And obviously I'm on to the tuning side of things now ha. My next purchase is definitely a wideband in the next few weeks before I install everything. I've read too many stories of unmonitored motors and the consequences to not use one.

And just to make sure, the chip in my fcon says D-1055. This is the stock injector chip right?

p1709997_1.jpg

p1709997_2.jpg

p1709997_3.jpg

Hmmm... the E105V is what I'm running now with 550cc and the VPC. (Sticker is on the F-con housing instead of the chip inside. Easier for reference. I can't remember how the rest goes, but I think in my case the D-6055? was 440cc injectors original setup.

-crisp

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Just looked at it again, closer this time, the 1 is actually a 6. Its just kinda washed out looking so it was hard to see at first. And the TMM2764 number on mine matches yours so its gotta be the 440 chip.

I've been reading in to rx7 550 high impendence injectors. Only reason I'm looking in to these is because they're plug n play, no need to splice in new pigtails. But I just came across a thread that mentioned they are ok to use with the stock ecu but not with many aftermarket computers since they're high imp. Do you know if that would include the fcon? Anyone have experience with the fcon and rx7 550s?

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
natedogr;1710027 said:
Just looked at it again, closer this time, the 1 is actually a 6. Its just kinda washed out looking so it was hard to see at first. And the TMM2764 number on mine matches yours so its gotta be the 440 chip.

I've been reading in to rx7 550 high impendence injectors. Only reason I'm looking in to these is because they're plug n play, no need to splice in new pigtails. But I just came across a thread that mentioned they are ok to use with the stock ecu but not with many aftermarket computers since they're high imp. Do you know if that would include the fcon? Anyone have experience with the fcon and rx7 550s?

p1710047_1.jpg

p1710047_2.jpg

p1710047_3.jpg

p1710047_4.jpg

p1710047_5.jpg

p1710047_6.jpg

p1710047_7.jpg

^^^ The RX7 injectors ARE what HKS ships for their 550cc injector part number now. They used to have a unique HKS licensed part, I believe, but now commonized with the RX7 injector.

Something like that...

NOTE: The white box in the first picture says "MAZDA" in Japanese just in front of the number 550cc. Also, DON'T rig your setup the way I did... as pigtails are available to make these work with stock harness! NO NEED to cut it up and get as "creative" as I did JUST to have it up and running THAT FREAKIN' DAY!:biglaugh:

...although... my rigged method has worked FLAWLESSLY for several years now...;)

-crisp

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Ha nice "hack" job. I don't see why the high imp rx7's wouldn't work with the fcon. They work just fine with the stock ecu so what would it matter having the fcon in there?