Hks 3mm head gasket

HENRY SIEMON

Dont be scare
Nov 13, 2006
San Juan, PR
hello , I want to know like how many horse power a hks 3mm mhg can hold?
I know that the 2mm stopper type can hold like 1500hp, but what about the 3mm hks mhg?

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
unlimittteedddd!!!!!!!!!!! lol

but really.. i am guessing it will "hold" whatever hp goals you want.. it all depends on installation, preparation of the mating surfaces, torquing, and how good of a tune you have (assuming that you are going to high horsepower numbers, i hope that you are going to have your car professionally tuned by a competent tuner)

one question if I may ask, why do you need a 3mm hg?

HENRY SIEMON

Dont be scare
Nov 13, 2006
San Juan, PR
I want to run 30 to 40 pounds of boost,
I was thinking to drop the compresion a little bit to run save and
save a little bit of money on the gasket. my gool are 800hp I did 565 at
20 pounds but i haved a gasket problem.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Saving a little money and 800 hp goals do not go hand in hand I'm afraid. To achieve this sort of goal your going to need a spare no expense attitude more than anything. Especially at 30 to 40 pounds of boost. This is a level that really breaks thing. Every aspect of the motor will need to be very carefully gone over and upgraded to do this with any reliability.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
^

get a better tune with very good supporting mods to be safe rather than dropping compression ratio imo
i dont know what your car has.. but look into meth injection to stop/prevent detonation

HENRY SIEMON

Dont be scare
Nov 13, 2006
San Juan, PR
Flateric;1681334 said:
Saving a little money and 800 hp goals do not go hand in hand I'm afraid. To achieve this sort of goal your going to need a spare no expense attitude more than anything. Especially at 30 to 40 pounds of boost. This is a level that really breaks thing. Every aspect of the motor will need to be very carefully gone over and upgraded to do this with any reliability.
I know what you talking, already I spend a lot off money on my upgrades and a lot of time you need to go backwards and fawArd and backwars again, that min 400 in a hks 2mm stopper and again and again, but if I can use a hks3mm that cost like 250 for my gool, I think its a deal, thats why im asking about Hks 3mm

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
800hp and "save a little bit of money" is a disaster waiting to happen. Will the hks 3mm hold 800, yes it should. But at that power you should get the stopper and not worry about it.

I have seen them for sale around $325

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Flateric;1681334 said:
Saving a little money and 800 hp goals do not go hand in hand I'm afraid.

That is an understatement of the day......

SC61 MK3;1681453 said:
800hp and "save a little bit of money" is a disaster waiting to happen.

800 hp is no place for chinese rods, pistons, cams, or cutting corners in any way, shape, or form.
I see another 3 year build, ending in a part-out is coming up.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
lowering compresion by the headgasket alone is the wrong way to do it. you need low comp pistons aswell. the 3mm gasket is only usefull if you had to remove alot of material from the head and or block to get it back to stock, otherwise you will need adjustable cam gears to get your timing right, as the timing belt geometry will be off if the head isnt sitting close to stock specs.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
bioskyline;1681482 said:
lowering compresion by the headgasket alone is the wrong way to do it. you need low comp pistons aswell. the 3mm gasket is only usefull if you had to remove alot of material from the head and or block to get it back to stock, otherwise you will need adjustable cam gears to get your timing right, as the timing belt geometry will be off if the head isnt sitting close to stock specs.

So that's the main reasoning behind adjustable cam gears? I hadn't thought of that. /threadjack

OT:
- Yes, lowering your compression ratio is a good idea to be tossing around when shooting for really big numbers. However, you're trading efficiency (torque per unit of fuel/RPM) for easier tuning potential due to less danger of detonation...the choice is up to you. Small changes make big differences when you're messing around with the basics of internal combustion.
- No, changing the compression ratio with a thicker head gasket is not the right way to do it. If I'm not mistaken, lots of bad things can happen if the squish area in the combustion chamber is out of spec.
Changing out for lower compression pistons is the way to go, and/or possibly removing material from the combustion chamber (someone else chime in here, not a valvetrain expert). The best possible solution would be using variable valve timing to control the dynamic compression ratio of the cylinders under boost, but 7M's don't have VVT.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Bleakvoid;1681511 said:
So that's the main reasoning behind adjustable cam gears? I hadn't thought of that. /threadjack

not the main reason, but a handy feature of them. on building a high compression NA motor (5m) as we had the head machined and used a thinner than stock HG, the timing belt was half a tooth off. 4 degress retarded on the cam gears was stock spec.

HENRY SIEMON

Dont be scare
Nov 13, 2006
San Juan, PR
what about O ring on the head and block, and use a 1.2mm head gasket, can this combination hold the 800hp

je pistons 8.5c/r
eagle rods
web cams #298 grind
bc springs and retainers
front facing manifold
q45 throttle
1200cc injectors
2345 weldonm fuel pump
gt45 master power
4'' down pipe thru back
hks gt2 wastegate 50mm
2 obx blow off
fidenza flywheel
arp all over
3200 rps clutch
AEM plug and play
5 bar pressure sensor
uego controler
e-boost 60 controller
31 x 12 x 4 intercooler
etc....

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That clutch will likely be insufficient to hold/launch with that kinda power. I don't have near 800 as of yet and I have this clutch.....granted older unit.....but I'm slippn in mid to upper 4th. I am also seriously considering a complete r154 freshen with all Marlin Crawler products and I now know I really need to build a stronger diff to be safe with my power (broken diff can be real bad) so it is time to consider a TRD rear. The clutch is going towards a twin or triple. I already have strengthened rear suspension components.

Every link in the chain all the way down to the very tires themselves have to be factored in now. And then stickier tires then stress the whole setup all the way back again right back to the motor. I mean sure my diff may hold for another year, it may not. I have had to plan to replace before failure as my power levels climb.

I personally feel that as you cross the 450 mark the next 100 gets much more difficult and likely to fail some part.........after that the next 50 is harder yet to achieve without breaking/failing.....now we are at 600........the next 25 becomes even harder yet to hold without issues. And so on... This is why the average number of I6 built motors.....7M/2jz/1jz whatever up above the 750 mark is extremely few and far between. And I am willing to bet those guys that are up over the 750 and in the 800 level break far more often than you would imagine. To them they know they will, they accept it and they are not really all that surprised when one of the links in the performance chain break......It's an accepted eventuality......over 750.....things will break......it's gonna happen

It's the older brighter bulb shorter duration situation. Yes this can be resisted somewhat with better/more expensive parts but there are limits. A 750hp motor is not going to be a trouble free not a worry in the world daily driver that is very likely to reach the 150,000Km mark.

With a GT45 turbo I think your gonna find you need a shot of NAZ to spool that bitch for decent response. And here again, this isn't gonna add to the life of your motor as I am sure you know. I just think a 800hp mark is truely a amazing amount of factors coming together that is not easy to achieve nor something to be lightly undertaken. You very well may be one of the rare people that get there and can afford to break things along the way while getting there and continue to afford the budget of staying there. And if so, you most certainly have my respect and you will without a doubt have the respect of many.

Just realize.......we all want 800hp monster daily drivers that can do it for as long as a stock setup.....but along the road to that goal realistic expectations change this and if you can choose the most realistic goals for your particular life you can then save money by most realistically choosing components once as you go and not getting more than needed or completely wrong items along the way.

Duane one of our own here recently graced the pages on Import Tuner with a legendary 7M setup. We all knew he was a titanic MKIII power in our small corner of the world but little did we realize he was in the godly stratospheric 1000+ RWHP level.

I am willing to bet my spare turbo that Duane did not get there without breaking, busting, swearing, spending while learning what it took to get there. I can also assure you that he does not expect to get 150,000 on his car without maticulous upkeep and even then he is aware he's going to break things before then.

Saving a buck here and there did not sit as a priority in his quest to reach these goals. I am sure his complete MOTEC setup was his pick because of it's low price for instance. Most MOTEC setups I know of are worth more than the average entire nicely built MKIII altogether is worth.

Just food for thought. And I am by no means prejudging you and saying you are not another Titan in the making. Who am I to say, I don't know you, I'll be the first in line to show my respect if you are. In the meantime, I'll hapilly help you out as best I can as many others here will also. Thats the great part about this community.

Just be sure of what your REALISTIC goals and expectations are plan for that goal and be aware of what that will likely cost you in time money and for sure the odd hard lesson.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I always raise the compression on 800 and up HP motors. 8.8:1 up to 9.2:1 usually. Custom pistons.

It is not the compression ratio that makes detonation anyway, it is the cylinder pressure.