High Idle, Code 51...cant figure it out.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
I tried to figure it out before asking but after a few hours I cant. This started after a WOT run through 1st and 2nd, when i let off the car wouldn't idle below 2000rpm. Throttle linkage is not binding, there are no vacuum leaks but I do have a code 51. I tried adjusting the TPS, however I just turned it since I dont have an ohmeter like TSRM suggests. It either idles at 2000rpm or fluctuates constantly if i turn the TPS clockwise but it wont idle constant at anything below 2000. Could the TPS be bad? It was bought new about 7 months ago :3d_frown: Thanks

-Rohan

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
code 51 is when no IDL signal is present. the car thinks you still have your foot on the throttle (or if you have in diag mode and touch the throttle it will trigger it).
id say its just off adjustment. you really need a voltmeter to set it right.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
it's best to get a multimeter with continuity beep. set it to where it beeps and if you open the throttle slightly it doesn't, this way you know you have IDL contact.

marlonvip

Supra -only way to fly
Sep 2, 2006
Denmark
Anyway to adjust the tps without a "meter"??
like just turning while looking at the blinker in the cluster???

thanks
Marlon

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Just pick up a voltmeter if you want to do it correctly. You can get cheap ones that will work fine. Don't expect them to last 10 years, but it'll definitely work for what you want to do.

You need a needle-type voltmeter for this job, and what they mean when they say "deflects" is simply when the needle moves.