High Idle+Backfiring

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
So I was getting a high idle at about 1100 rpms and after I adjusted the valves it was getting anywhere between 1100 and 1800. After it warms up it is usally on the high side and when I am sitting there letting it idle, it just keeps backfiring but just little popping, nothing big. I checked for air leaks and its not throwing any codes. Any help or ideas is appreciated, thanks.

Arther3

Remember SOGI? I do
Apr 1, 2005
Starkville, MS
www.cardomain.com
backfire is usually from running too rich i believe.

edit: i remember, its probably that coolant temp sensor on top of thethermostat housing. mine was broken once and the car idled high...and backfired.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
but only if it isnt adjusted correctly and also that only happens when shifting. in this case hes only having the problem at idle....

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Timing. Period.

Reset the CPS, check all the spark plug wires/coil pack for crossed spark plug wires....
I had the same thing when i rebuilt mine...took me three freaking days to figure out it was the CPS....it was set wrong.

-Jonathan

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
I don't have any bov just the stock bypass valve. By resetting the cps do you mean pull it out and put it back in, if so why would it make a difference if I already set it at 10 degrees. Also it only will backfire after the engine has had a chance to warm up a little. If the engine has any load it does not backfire. Thanks for the input.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
its your timing...its WAY off...when i was having problems such as yours i put a timing light on my car and saw i was like 35 degrees ADVANCED ...i was like oh shit lol..reset it correctly and it fixed the problem.

try completely resetting your timing...also you want to set it to TDC and the ecu will advance it accordingly.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yes, having your timing extremely advanced will cause your engine to idle high and random backfire/misfire. i had this happen when my CPS was a tooth off and was running about 25* BTDC advanced.

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Ckanderson said:
Listen to us... mechanics dont know much about performance car's.... except me... :p

Alright Ckanderson what do have to say about this current situation that I am having.

J

JerzeySlowpra

my timing is dead on because i just reset mine 2 weeks ago cause my cams jumped off 2 teeth some how... but anyway i reset that and put new denso plugs wires in my car and i have a smooth 600-700 rpm idle when im warm and i have that tiny back fire in my exaust and i know all my sensors are good cause it took me 2 days to figure out that it was only the timing after i had already gone over every sensor, i know my car runs real rich cause you can smell it so i dont know, your idle is def wrong but coem to think of it i think my cars always made the little backfire noise here and there at idle. although i think it may just be because i have a tiny 3 inch Y pipe on my DP with a door with 3 wing nuts to take on and off for open exaust it could just be back preasure from the exaust going into that 2 inches of pipe and hitting the door