hiccups, rollercoaster idle, check light blinkage, etc.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
It's been running fine with a slit misfire going on. Been driving it only 1.5 weeks 30 minutes a day... may be. Yesterday it out of no where, I start it and the idle is dipping and coming back a lil. By the time I get 50 ft from the house, it's dipping bad. I hobble back to my friend's house and into the garage. It was getting worse and worse. After I looked over the engine and even check the oil pressure to see if it was something crazy like it was starting seize up slowly, I crank it... same thing. The pause between firing was pathetic. The thing was shooting clouds of unburned fuel out the DP. Anyway, I drove it back too my place. Sometimes on the way, it was cutting out after I'd let of the gas and in neutral. Then come back once I stuck it in gear. Died a stop light. Anyway...

I tried pulling codes today. All I got was a fast blinking check light... no codes. I used the TE1 wire of the ECU so I believe that I got the right one. I made sure I had enough voltage to the battery... got a jumper pack on my good battery just in case.

This is an Aristo motor with a small single turbo... other that tiz stock.

I lost this dudes # who knows this crap like he knows english. Sorry to bother you guys.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Do you have a wideband hooked up? It sounds like it's running exceptionally rich and maybe flooding it out. If you had a wideband you'd be able to tell. I think it does this when the capasitors start going bad. You can do a search and see if other cars with this problem had the same symptoms as yours. Good luck.

If you can, borrow an ecu from someone else and try it. Find one that you know is running well though. You can send yours to www.driftmotion.com and he will rebuild it for you. Good luck.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Thanks for the input. I hope you don't mean the ECU capacitors ...I don't wanna :(

I had been looking up funky idle and hiccups. Hiccups are usually vaccum/boost leak. Checkt it, everything seems spiffy. Funkt idle... could be a few different things. I know it's dumping a butt load of fuel.

This morning I try to start it. It was running may be a cylinder or 2... and died. I pulled the spark plugs. They were soakt in fuel as well as plenty black from unburnt fuel. I've gotta friend taking to AutoZone for some new NGK $9 each pluggs. I had the step down NGKz in it before. I remember a friend telling me they wouldn't cut it for some reason. I vaguely remember him says boosting hard would be not so great. Just before all this crap happened, I decided to mess with these 2 kids in their riced up civic hatchy. I is the only thing I can think of.

I stuck the plugs into the coil packs to see if they'd fire. One or two coil packs were arching from black plastic to the aluminum bracket thingy. And one shocked my ass when i touched the blue rubber thingy. I'm only savvy with stuff I've done and know as far as cars, but I don't think that is a good thing for them to be arching from the coil pack housing. I am gonna look this up now but if you happen to know better than me by all means post up.

I'm sorry for the longish posts but I speaking somewhat vernacular.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
oky doky...

I replaced the coilpacks with some spares. I replaced the ECU with a spare. I leaned the fuel pressure down to like 25psi so at least it's not dumping clouds of fuel out the exhaust. It still idles on only a couple of cylinder and sounds sporadic (like the crackling of a welder with not enough grounding) when revved.

I am gonna try for a video so I can miscommunicate less. Aphxero has been helping me out. I gotta try a few things he told me.

HatchSex

Ma70
May 5, 2007
Jacksonville, NC
Another thing you could try with the coil packs, even though you said you replaced them, wrap them in electrical tape so that they dont ground out on the head of your engine. You said you got shocked its because the plastic on the coils may be cracked even though you might not be able to see the cracks. Happened on my 1jz I just used the tape to see if the coils were the problem.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Was told by a friend to check my map sensor and wiring. Another friend assured me that the coil packs will not run like this... they can arch all day and still run. I swapped out the ignitor and it's all good there too. I am just going to double check the wiring "that" place did for me when they replaced the injector clips/wirings. I'll start there and work my way to everything else. I trust my first-time wiring more than "theirs." I got pretty good at soldering the hell outa stuff.

I'll have that vid up tomorrow though.

dogdrake

Oct 25, 2008
Gadsden Alabama
do a compression check . you have eliminated everything but the wire harness and compression. also if you have an safc or something tied in you may have a break or short in the wire for the rpm pickup, it ties to the ignitor wire .

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
dude.. i have the same problem... you know what mine was.... my cam lobes on cylinder 2-6 were worn so bad that it had no compression. The first cylinder had plenty of compression. but two thru six had absolutely none. I would say do a compression check, and determine if you have any cylinders that lack compression. if not then you should crack open your wiring harness, and check every wire. especially the ones to the ignitor and all your grounds. good luck

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
okay, changed the sparkplugs and it ran. Checked the wiring. You could still tell that the idle was meh. I checked compression 160, 165, 165, 160, 170, 160 (front to back). I poured some fuel system cleaner in the half tank. Im gonna pickup some more spark plugs cause I just had it idling and drove to some covered parking AND the spark plugs are all black already. So it is definitely a fuel issue. I have the AFPR down to 20psi and it's still freakin rich. I pulled the map sensor and it died (supposed to be able to idle without a MAP sensor). I'll have to check the wiring on that still. I'll check the injectors tomorrow.

J

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Jacob;1207193 said:
okay, changed the sparkplugs and it ran. Checked the wiring. You could still tell that the idle was meh. I checked compression 160, 165, 165, 160, 170, 160 (front to back). I poured some fuel system cleaner in the half tank. Im gonna pickup some more spark plugs cause I just had it idling and drove to some covered parking AND the spark plugs are all black already. So it is definitely a fuel issue. I have the AFPR down to 20psi and it's still freakin rich. I pulled the map sensor and it died (supposed to be able to idle without a MAP sensor). I'll have to check the wiring on that still. I'll check the injectors tomorrow.

J

Sounds like youre close. Call me if need be.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Sup mark, your phone is acting up. I'll try your work tomorrow. I think I finally narrowed it down. It's just rich as fukkk.

I checked the rail, then changed my injectors to the originals (which that crappy place that fukt me said were low imp... retards). I changed the spark plugs (major help). I bolted the freakin coilpacks down (for some reason i didn't remember or realize that they were grounded that way). I brought the idle up on the throttle screww. It finally stopped bucking and bogging. I drove it around some with my friends following. They told me that every time I hit warp drive, it'd drop clouds of darkness.

oh yeah, I couldn't find my bungy cord "hood latch" so i just took the hood off right quick. :gangster:

p1207992_1.jpg

After the test run, I think my friend with his MK4 is nervous. I am glad to know he's nervous.

SupraKingz

Nov 16, 2007
Winnipeg,Manitoba
This is the exact same problem i am having with mine but except mine flashed the code 31 so it told me that it was my map sensor so i will be replacing those and i just replaced the plugs with ngk 6097's and it ran but black smoke just pouring out so will let you know how it goes with replacing sensors.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Jacob, I have another map sensor you can use to see if that is the problem. If you'll send me a pm with your address I can get it in the mail tomorrow. If it helps you out, I'll give it to you at a fair price. Let me know., Jay

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
appreciate it Jay, I already swapped out a map sensor to test it out. didn't make any change in behavior.

So what plugs should I be running anyway? I just got these NKG 7092s. Mark you told me something different over the phone, but I couldn't find them at Autozone.

I'm also piggyback shopping. I am guess that I am for the most part settled on Emanage Ultimate. I was told Map ECU v2 is better but I haven't seen many guys here running them. I just can't afford AEM or PowerFC. I'm going for street/drift so there's only so much power I need anyway. Any input is welcomed/taken seriously. Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I run NGK 6097 and I get them at Advance Auto parts. They didn't carry them at first, but I got them to keep 12 on hand at all times now. You should be able to get you local shop to do the same.

Have you checked into the Stinger? It's about nine hundred dollars and it works great on the 1jz. I think it's about nine hundred dollars, but it might be a little less. I don't know how much the piggy backs are, but I gained one hundred extra horses between fourty five hundred and fifty five hundred with the stinger over the SAFCII since I could adjust my timing. Good luck.

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
That's the ones Mark told me to get. I couldn't remember the # since it had been a week or two since I went to the Zone. I guess I will make my store stock them. I have an extra set on hand till they'd be able to stock them. Thanks for the info.

I was originally going to go with the Stinger, but a friend of mine advised me to just stay with the stock smoothness and a piggyback. Esp., since I'm pretty fuckin noobish with this entire build.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Jacob I can get a powerfc for you at a good price. Remember that other stuff runs wasted spark (including aem) and the stock coils hate that shit!

If I went aem or stinger I'd use msd tower coils or something.

Call me dude.