HI guys! My first Supra!

fjing60

Mar 16, 2012
Houston
Hi guys im Ryan here is my new supra!
Its a 87 Supra NA. Its been sitting for a year so it covered in junk. It has a 161628 miles. It dosent run. My plans are to get it running and use it as my DD, then down the road im going to do a 2jzgte swap and a interior swap. Im excited to get her on the road! Here are some pics!! sorry for the poor quali
p1828188_1.jpg

p1828188_2.jpg

p1828188_3.jpg

p1828188_4.jpg

p1828188_5.jpg

p1828188_6.jpg

p1828188_3.jpg

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Hey Ryan, good to see you here. Believe me, you'll love that car forever, but you'll hate what will happen to your wallet because of it.

I would recommend against using it as a DD though. As good as they are, when supra's break, they break the bank. If you can pick up a cheap slow reliable DD other than the Sup, you won't have to rush repairs and can spend more time doing a better job. In the end, that will really be worth your while. Trust me, I've been there.

On a lighter note, SM is pretty much the best source for info on our cars that you'll find anywhere. It's probably the best source for parts too, so keep your eyes on the classifieds section to pick up what you need. Good luck with the build and welcome to the family!

D-Supra

Apr 6, 2012
Independence, Mo.
I hope you enjoy the car. I see all those needles from the beautiful pine trees down there. I just bought my first Supra a month ago. Mine was in great shape. Did a clay bar detail and the paint looks new again. Im driving mine daily (I hope) but have a Dodge p/u in case. Fuel consumption problems also.

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
Hey Ryan, we met at 2k12, good luck on getting the supra running! Any idea what is wrong with it?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Clean car!

haha joking aside, I agree with above statement. 7m deserves a second chance :)

Welcome aboard, can't wait to see what becomes of the car!

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Welcome! :)

I too bought my first supra back in November of last year. An 89 NA 5 speed with the intention of using it as a DD. I have been doing so since then and now I am looking for a cheap little echonobox for a DD because 20mpg on a DD really sucks! lol Plus it won't be long before you want to add boost! ;)

Good luck with the car. Restore it to good condition and never let it go. These cars need to be preserved, so thanks for saving this one. Even though it looks dirty now, I'm sure you will have it cleaned up and running in no time. Once you drive it, you will love it! :)

fjing60

Mar 16, 2012
Houston
No updates to report. I did give it a good wash and next is to clean the interior. there wont be much updating for the next 3 weeks as I am moving back home to Houston Texas. Will keep yall posted!!

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Welcome to SM, my recommendation is don't rush as it will come to bite you later down the road. Do it once, do it right. When I first started on my supra, I got in a hurry because I was anxious to drive it. Me rushing cost me a turbo and the motor.....a very costly mistake as a result of my impatience. Then I took my time and now the car runs like a sewing machine. I look forward to seeing your progress.

fjing60

Mar 16, 2012
Houston
So its been about 4 weeks since I got the supra back to texas. I got it running but it has a terrible idle. Tried a couple of things and thought I had it. Wen for a test drive, went around a corner I couldn't rev it. (wouldn't go past 1000rpm) And couldn't move it without it diying. Then smoke starts coming out from under the hood and car. Got out popped the hood. and let it smoke. Looked under the car and the cat was bright red (I thought that could be part of my rough idle). Got it towed home by dad and let it cooled down. I also thought that one or some of the spark plug boots were not seated properly and not making connection. Went to go pull them and found cooling where the last 4 are. It was full to that plate (sorry dont know the proper term). Got it all cleaned out and did a compression test. cylinder 6 0psi. I didnt go further. BHG so now im exploring my options. Fix it and be on my way, go na-t, 2jz, or sell it and find another (only reason i consider this is because there is rust allthe way threw above the tail light and rust all around the rear hatch not to mention the hatch has rust bad) What do yall guys think I should do? I ove this car and I even gotten to dive it down the road yet.