hesitation and idle problem

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
Im getting ready to go out to sea for a few days so ill ready any answers when i return so if you can please help.

First of all i installed the C.O.P. Plugs on my car. They seemed to run fine at first until after about 15 miles on them Then at half or full throttle They now cause a heavy hesitation/miss. I thought maybe it was a fuel problem so i put in the walbro fuel pump with the 12v mod and changed the fuel filter. Still does it. So then i changed the injectors to 550's and installes the lexus maf. Still the same problem but also now that i installed the injectors and Maf the car seems to lope a little at idles sometimes. Sometimes it even stalls when i let off the gas. I look around all connections are on, bolts seem tight, Hoses seems fine. I did a resistance check on the coils and thats fine and also followed the tsrm and i get 12 volts at the coil also. The wores are getting about 3 ohms of resistance. Does that seem to low and could this be the problem. Again it drives fine and normal conditions but it as soon as i try to get on it at all it hesitates and misses. I havent changed my boost at all from where i had it before the mods. I also checked the gaps on the plugs and i have them set at .020? at least i think thats what it was. The book says to put it at 21 so i went one smaller in case the spark was getting blown out? PLease help? any suggestion. I did a search but could find anything that i hadnt alrwady explained i checked and tried?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
So you thought throwing on new parts that could make the problem worse, would correct it?

Do you have any CEL codes? Do you have a wideband on the car? If the problem arose when you did the COP mod, why not change back to the normal coils and see if the problem is within the COP mod itself?

When you do a mod and something goes wrong, you don't start throwing more shit on it because now you have parts that you threw at it that may not be working properly or installed properly.

Install the OEM coils back and see if the problem persists.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
yes i put the parts on but it was just the stuff that i thoguht were the problem i wasnt adding parts just because. I have been planning on swapping them back but just got home and havent had time to do this so i just wanted to see if anyone had a simular issue and if the idle problem was normal after putting on the lexus Maf

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
ok thanks. I was searching around last night and i think i found the problem for the idle. It looks as if the gasket on my throttle body is cracked. I can here a slight hissing in that area ao im going to try and take care of that today. But to answer your other questions. I do have a Wideband installed and i typically set at arounf 15 at idle and jumps to 12-13 when i tap the gas and that with no tuning yet. I have something to tune it with but i want to get this sorted out first. Do you know if 2-3 ohms is to low for the wires? Seems a lot lower then i see most.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Verify that there is no water in the spark valley, and that the coils and wires are making good contact with the plugs.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
ok i replaced the gasket and the car idles a lot better but when stopping it will still try to day and then i tap the gas and it will idles fine so i think i still have a small one somewhere. As for the coils, i switched back to stock and its fine. I noticed one of the coils had the spring missing from inside the boot and the other two still have it. Could that cause any issues or not really?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Tuner.87;1915399 said:
ok i replaced the gasket and the car idles a lot better but when stopping it will still try to day and then i tap the gas and it will idles fine so i think i still have a small one somewhere. As for the coils, i switched back to stock and its fine. I noticed one of the coils had the spring missing from inside the boot and the other two still have it. Could that cause any issues or not really?

Is it the same spring that goes down on top of the spark plug to make contact? If so, yes.