Helpppp! 1991 supra,turbo,tems on the line

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
I am looking at a 1991 turbo,targa,tems supra.its maroon with grey interior.89,000 miles with 3 inch exhaust.engine bay is clean,interior is 6/10 and body is good but it has pre 89 front bumper.i dont mind it,its like that cuz itook a hit on the front end but the repair was pretty good.he wants 2 grand.
the problem is when i looked at it the igniter and maf were stolen.(by the way i heard about the car because some kids told me about it because they wanted me to strip it for parts,but i found the owner in an attempt to save yet another supra from its demise.)so back to the problem i got a maf and igniter and she cranked rite up and the idle bounced around for a couple mins(it would be at 1k drop down to like 300 then back and forth)then it finally just would only start and not idle at all.it also its breaking up when im bliping the throttle to keep it running.but it never hesitates to start and it sound normal till it has to hold the idle speed.
i make the decision tomorrow if im going to buy it or not.
any advice?
and do i buy it any way the way it is and go with my cut telling me the problem is and vaccum/boost leak. or sensor?

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
I would at least get a knowledgeable mechanic to check it out for you first if you are unsure of the root cause of the problem. Might save yourself a lot of headache in the long run. Hopefully, it will not be something major and you can get yourself a good deal on a great car. GL!

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
i had my friend who worked at pepboys for like three years and rebuilt his 300zx take a look at it and he said he thought it was some kind of air leak or boost leak but couldnt find any just by look over it.
how much would a boost leak affect idle?
the guy had the car for like 2 and a half years and put like 500 miles on in that time. thats why i think it is a dry and cracked hose somewhere that could be the problem.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
you don't make boost at idle, so you have a vacuum leak ;) That or the MAF is screwed, sounds like unmetered air causing the problem.

hit me up via text I'm at work right now 919-923-4243

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
hey i think i found out the problem...the fuel pump solenoid is missing.my question is will the solenoid off my n/a work?they both look the same and have the same plugs.
p1640898_1.jpg

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
fuel pump solenoid?... if im not mistaken the turbos and na's use different fuel delivery(as far as car running or off) correct me if im wrong.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
if its not running right offer him less so that you can have spare money just incase its something expensive.