HELPP! BAD misfire and going WAY lean at idle.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
ok so heres the whole story i was on the way home from VA (150 miles for what its worth) last week and didnt notice my car was running hot untill i smelled burning antifreeze then i looked down at the water temp gauge and saw it drop from 250ish down to around 210ish quickly a min later it started to miss. So i immediately cut the car off and came to a stop on the side of the highway, pop the hood and theres water everywhere i waited a little while and started the car and saw white smoke coming out of the exhaust so i feared BHG (i have MHG and arp's) then i cut the car off. when the car arrived home i checked the oil and it looked clean and attempted to put water in the radiator then i noticed it all was coming out as soon as i poured it in from the top of the radiator so i knew were the water had came from. so i cut the car on just to listen to it and it sounded as good and healthy as it did before all this happened and noticed no smoke so i cut the car off when i get it into my shop. duting the time it was in the shop i worked on it and took out the whole AC system and painted a few things while i was waiting. a few days later i finally got my new radiator in and installed it and started the car for the first time and it sounded like shit there was a big misfire from idle and the afr's were all screwed up i would go 18+ or --- lean at idle i checked all the grounds and vaccume lines and to all my knowledge everything hooked up but i will check again. Last night i was curious about the wires so i started the car in dark for a min and noticed i could see the spark from the #1 cylinder and i did the same thing tonight and noticed it in #5 and 6 so i ordered new wires and plug which will come in tmrw morning im hoping thats my problem for the horrible miss and just hope i messed up the wires and nothing else. This is weired because it didnt do this when i brung it into my shop and started work but it does now.

Posted this to see what you guys with experience would say my problem could be and for opinions what to check/do.

Probably will post this in my build thread as well.
sorry for the length but thought it might be helpful stating the big picture.

thanks for the help

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
there was a little oil.

ok i fixed most of the miss by replacing the plugs and wires but im still running rich on idle any ideas?
when i ran it there was no whie smoke until it went lean

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
when i turn the car on itll run stoich for about 30secs then itll get lean and start running ruff then puffs of white smoke comes out
only way so far ive seen to make it get better afr's is to give it some gas

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
.40 oversized wiseco pistons
Eagle h-beam rods
Full 3' exhaust with Greddy muffler
Fidanza 11lb flywheel
RPS max clutch
Oil pump
Waterpump
Thermostat
FMIC & hardpipes
HKS 1.2mm MHG
ARP head studs
Gates timing belt
Oil cooler
Intake
Bearings
Gaskets
Aem uego
Auto meter water temp, boost, and oil pressure gauges
Motor mount
MBC
Clear cam cover
Speakers all around w/ cd player sub and amp
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Resurfaced head
Bored block
Balanced crank
Knock sensors
Mishimoto radator

just90gs

Supramania Contributor
Jul 21, 2009
yortown Va
ok I don't know to much about these motor's but that kinda sound's like you may have a vaccum leak somewhere rich/lean. did you check for leak's

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I see a walbro in your list. Any other fuel mods?

And just to be clear. Everything is back in order except the following:

AFR's
Idle
Driveability

I just want to make sure we're all chasing the same problem. ;)

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
yes i did.

i just notived that i took the belt off from the power steering pump and was wondering if the pump controlled the vaccume hose here
p1391180_1.jpg

im not sure but it looks like the pump is what controls those lines to the accordian hose and under the intake manifold

could that mess up the system?

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Mine was running lean all of a sudden, and it was the power steering idle up connector/hose that was broken. Once I fixed that, my a/f's went back to normal. I'd address that asap, hopefully that's the golden ticket! I don't know if the pump itself pulls the vac or not, but if it did that after you disengaged the ps, I'd start there. gl.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
thanks im currently running w/o a thermostat and straight water i doubt that has anyhing to do with it tho, when it warms up itll go toward highe 15's -16 then back up to 18+ but i noticed there was a sensor that hadwires broken and unplugged it and i got 14's and good afr's driving not sure wats goin on but imma leave that line off for awhile and see what happens

thanks for the help so far guys