help with slick tires

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
hi, i`ve been having problems with traction in the 1/4 mile, i found a set of dunlop 335/660/18 slick tires, would they fit my supra? i read the post wheel fitment but i couldn`t find anything about this wheel. :1zhelp:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
lol, is that an extra 6 in there?

Even if it is, a 60 profile on a 335 tire with an 18 inch rim would be a big dia tire. If you want straight line traction, ditch the 18's and get a 15" rim out back. Even a 265 drag slick on a 15" rim will probably grip better than anything on an 18" rim for straight line launch.

The reason is that the sidewall has to be able to flex a certain ratio to the traction patch of the tire to provide optimal grip under parallel loading (if I'm wording this right). If you watch slow motion drag racing shots, you can see their sidewalls bunch up on launch, this is good. A tire on an 18" rim cannot do that because the sidewalls are made too stiff. Of course, tires that provide superb traction from a dig can make it handle like an oil tanker in the corners.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i got them as a gift but just the tires, i am planning to use them but i need to get the 18 rims, before i start to look for the rims i would like to know if they fit the supra, do they fit?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Do the math. A 335/60/18 has a 34" diameter. That's almost 9" bigger than stock. My truck has smaller tires than that.

If you lift your Supra, it might clear.

Edit: or get some massively offset wheels, like -200. Say goodbye to your wheel bearings though.