Help - Still no start

Apr 4, 2005
Milwaukee
www.cardomain.com
Well I just did a 7mgte swap along with a spec stage 2 clutch and Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. All the car does when I turn the key is click in the glovebox along with the starter clicking. It is a fairly loud click from the starter when the key is turned then again when the key is turned back.

I just installed a remanufactured starter because the old one was bad. I did the test of directly connecting the starter to the battery and still the same thing.

I don't know where else to look. Is it possible that the new flywheel is not engageing with the starter itself? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Snotcycle

Jul 16, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
jogging speed for 2nd gear start, little bit less for a reverse start, just go knock on your neighbor's door and ask em to help you push start

Note: DO NOT try to push start in 1st gear, it'll only be a headache

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
Supramatt-
I have had the same problem with my 87t for a number of years, on and off. More on than off. I took it to my local toyota dealer a number of times to no avail. One time they replaced the starter and it quit for acouple of months and then it was back again. The problem seems to be more problematic when I take short runs, like when I get in in the morning it will fire right up. Then I will shut it off after a 20 minute run to the store and come out and go to start it and the clicking behind the glove box starts.(HAC?) Also I notice the turbo needle on the guage will bounce to zero when this happens. If I'm persistant it will start after 20-45 minutes of trying most of the time, or if someone gives me a jump. This also happens after the car sits in this blazing florida sun all day.
I'm getting ready to start a total tear down and rebuild of the car for other various reasons. However I would not like this problem to continue afterwards as I love this type of car and want to fix all problems as I reassemble.
If anyone could help supramatt and myself in addition to the advice already given, please chime in. Its a shame as well as an embarassment to have such a beautiful car to brag about and be found dead in aparking lot!
Thanx,
-Devin

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If its getting power and is mechanically stuck, then you will see your headlights dim when you try to crank. If you headlights stay bright, then the starter is not getting power.

As JJ said above, pull off the small blue/black wire going to the starter solenoid connector and jump 12V directly to the solenoid. It should turn over. If it doesn't the starter is bad, or your big cables are bad (check the power cable and the engine ground straps).

Another possibility is a bad alarm starter relay.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/Wiring/pages/Page_038.html