Help me find this wire!

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
I'm fixing my wiring harness and I have found a single wire that I have not been able to identify, however in tracing it I have determined a great deal about what else is connected to this circuit and I am now thoroughly confused.

First, the car is an '88 turbo MT

Now, the wire in question is brown with blue stripes and the loose end is near the ECU plugs on the engine harness. From the end of this wire, about six inches down, there is a factory splice. Into that splice goes the external shielding of the O2 sensor and another identical wire (they are both gray, but the O2 sensor wire itself is white). I've done some checks on this wire and determined that the other end of it is (among other places) grounded at grounding point B on the wiring diagram (this hooks to the head near the intake manifold). The wiring diagram states that a similar wire is connected to E1 on the ECU plugs (the one with 10 pins), however I already have a wire there, and ironically enough, there is continuity between the loose wire and the wire in E1. therefore, this can't be that wire, however I can't think of anything else it could possibly be.

Can anyone identify this wire, or if you have a matching harness, find where the O2 sennsor wire is and look for where the shielding on it is spliced in with the shielding from an identical gray wire and both are conneceted to a brown wire that grounds out at grounding point B and then look for where the fuck the other end of the brown wire is connected and then tell me? Thanks

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
Mk3runner;1216157 said:

Ok, pics:

In this pic, you can see the end of the O2 wire, which has an inner wire that's wrapped in some sort of shielding, TSRM says "noise filter" or something like that. This is what the wire would look like if you cut the O2 sensor wire and stripped it carefully.
wire1.jpg

This is the other end of the O2 wire. You can see how the shielding from the O2 wire and one other wire are connected to the brown/blue wire. The brown/blue wire is the mystery wire, but I know that the other end of it grounds at grounding point B in the wiring diagram, which is on the intake manifold side of the head at the top.
wire2.jpg

This is a pic of the other end of the O2 wire in the first pic. The shielding is stripped off and is spliced into the junction previous pic (this is a factory splice). The other part of the O2 wire goes straight to the ECU.
wire3.jpg

This is the ECU plug that another, similar wire to the mystery wire goes to. The TSRM labels this as "E1" and there is continuity between the mystery wire and this wire. Also, the factory knock sensors also have that same shielding as the O2 wire, and it is spliced into this wire in the same way.
The ECU plug has 10 pins.
wire4.jpg

This is that same plug from the previous pic looking at it from the front. Shows the pin at "E1" where the other brown wire plugs in. This brown wire is the same color as the mystery wire, but it looks like a 16 gauge wire and the mystery is like an 18 guauge wire (haven't measured but proportionally this is correct, might be 14 and 16 though instead). This also shows the mystery wire, which just happened to be in the pic. Originally it was not stripped, I did that so that I could hook a multimeter to it.
wire5.jpg

So, any ideas what this mystery wire could be and more importantly where I should connect it? If someone happens to have a harness out of the car, you could probably just go look on it and see what it's connected to because there are only two splices of the shielding. O2 wire is distinctive because it's one of only two fat gray wires there and they both have shielding spliced into the mystery brown wire, just follow the mystery wire to its other end and tell me what it is. Thanks

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
Mk3runner;1216890 said:
lol, no clue... does everything work? or still putting car together??

Still putting car together but I don't remember seeing that wire loose when I took the harness off so I'm at a loss as to what may have happened. there is no "other end" to it up near any of the plugs and there are no pins or splices that look like this cable may have been attached at one point. Very strange. I found a guy locally who has an '88 wiring diagram so I'm going to try to get that from him this week and see if I can trace this thing. I'll post up when I figure out where to attach the wire, because I WILL find it sooner or later.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
wh0wants2know;1217537 said:
Still putting car together but I don't remember seeing that wire loose when I took the harness off so I'm at a loss as to what may have happened. there is no "other end" to it up near any of the plugs and there are no pins or splices that look like this cable may have been attached at one point. Very strange. I found a guy locally who has an '88 wiring diagram so I'm going to try to get that from him this week and see if I can trace this thing. I'll post up when I figure out where to attach the wire, because I WILL find it sooner or later.

I found it. It goes nowhere. That's right, this wire goes fucking NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an '88 NA harness. I finally dug it out and took it apart. Underneath many layers of electrical tape, I found the O2 wires, just like on the '88 turbo harness. the shielding was spliced into a brown wire. it grounded in the same place. I followed it up from the splice. It was TAPE. TO. ITS. FUCKING. SELF. It just had a little loop in the end, and it was taped up. IN conclusion, this wire literally goes nowhere and does nothing except sit there.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU