Help me decide on the proper clutch set up for my car

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
- Built bottom end
- Built R154 tranny
- billet 6265 turbo
- Target between 500-550hp

Not really sure on what brand to go with. It had a spec stage 3 clutch in before the rebuild and it seem to work just fine with power that I was putting out at 340 ft tq. Now granted I realize that clutch may not be enough at these power goals. So what brands do you guys recommend? What flywheel? Maybe a twin disk set up? This seems to be something I can't make up my mind on.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you got the cash a twin disk would be the way to go.

Iirc the 3 or 3+ will hold 500 ftlbs but dont quote. But you could always run it till it slips then replace.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Well I already sold it cause I wanted everything new when I rebuilt the car to leave no room for failure. I'm pretty sure the 3 holds 500 and 3+ was 620. The 3 would be pushing it. Any recommendations on what brand of twin disk?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm currently running through the same decision making process as you are at the moment. Current setup is about the same power levels and a single plate RPS with a 6 puck. Finding it slips. OS Giken make a good clutch I've heard. There are some members that make setups here also that I have not had time yet to fully research.

But I have till spring, so lots of time.....

I frown snow.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah I have friend locally that has tilton twin disk on his mk2 with 7m r154 swap. He is the one that has me thanking about a twin disk. What is the name of the members that make these if you don't mind me asking?

The OS Giken seems to be a fairly reasonable price compared to some of the other brands to.