HELP Losing oil

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
i bought the car with 71000 miles back in august and it now has 79000 miles. Problem is im losing a lot of oil. it had a slight leak when i got it but you couldnt tell unless the car sat for days. i went on vaction for a week after doing an oil change came back home and had to put about 2 quarts in. Looks as if i have a little coming out of the valve cover on passenger side in the back but not a lot. but there oil all over the front of the engine and on the right side of the engine bay by where the air filter sits. its all over the undercarrige of the car my cat back was only put on about 2 months ago and its covered in oil near where the cat goes and streaks from there back. my oil pressure seems low also even after changing oil. the oil pressure seems to be at about 30 when driving and like 10 at idle after warm sometimes goes a little lower. when i look under the car it looks as if its dripping from the oil drain plug but i replaced the seal on that when i got the car thinking the little drip was that. I figured either the oil pan gasket, front or rear seal? am i correct in thinking you have to lift the engine a little to remove the oil pan? how much of a pain is it to replace the pan gasket the the main seals? would this leak or leaks cause the oil pressure to read this or is that pressure normal for this car? what do you all recommed and should i just replace the motor or anything would be great. my problem is im limited on space and time and some tools required for lifting engine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is the cps leaking? That's. Common.

Front main is the easiest.
Rear trans has to come out and you can look through the inspection plate to see if it is leaking.
Oil pan motor needs to come out. Unless you support the engine and drop the subframe. Both equally about the same amount of work except removing the engine give you a easier chance to replace more seals easily.

Oil filter on tight and not double gasketed?

Could also be the rear timing case which is usually rare but possible.

Best bet would be to steam clean or pressure wash everything good. Stay away from alt afm and spark plug galley or use towels over those. And then put some die in the oil and with a uv light see where it coming out of. Take a short trip and then check. Do it a couple times till you can see it.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
would this cause the oil pressure to be that low when it is full of oil ive never seen it go higher then 40 and at idle its like 10 an about 20 at crusing or is that normal for our cars?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If you are getting oil streaming back onto the cat, I also suggest you check the turbo's feed and return line gaskets. Mine was leaky, and sent oil all the way down the exhaust.
Low oil pressure wouldn't be the result of a steady oil leak, unless you were actually LOW on oil.
It is more likely that bearing clearances are a bit wider in your motor, and/or the oil sender is not all that honest/accurate(common).
Do as suggested, and clean your entire engine, then drive it for 10 miles. If the leak is as bad as you say, that's as far as you'll need to drive to create traceable oil seepage.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
Yeah only 79000 but I think the car sat for awhile in the sun cause the window seals are worn and I have this problem. Also only paid 1400 for the car and all I had to do to make it driveable was fix the exhaust mani gasket and then I just had to get a new Idle control valve. Then I drove it all the ways from mi to va where it is now until 2013 and I'm going back to mi.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
nice score on the car! when you replaced the manifold gasket did you replace the turbo feed/drain gasket? also check the oil feed line to turbo, maybe one of the copper washers fell out during install (happened to me). but id check in that area, maybe the drain pipe even has a leak.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
hvyman said:
Best bet would be to steam clean or pressure wash everything good. Stay away from alt afm and spark plug galley or use towels over those. And then put some die in the oil and with a uv light see where it coming out of. Take a short trip and then check. Do it a couple times till you can see it.

I'd start with this. If it's getting thrown that much check and see if it's getting on your belts. Belts tend to throw leaks everywhere, especially with the clutch fan being right there as well. After the dye is in, check all the areas already mentioned with a UV light in hand and you should see pretty quickly whereabouts it is coming from.