HELP is my tranny gone?

kicknsupra

May 22, 2008
PG BC
i have a 88 turbo auto and when i put it in to reverse it just revs
and it wont sift in to hi gear its all most like it goes in to 2nd instead of drive and misses reverse

it all stared last summer befor a parked the car
then this spring when i went to pull it out and forgot to put it n and we pulled it back in park for 10 feet

then it worked fine for about 2000k now it doing the same thing

thats the part that gets me that it went away then came back

make me all most want to pull it back in park again lol

i really dont want to put a auto back it but i dont have the cash for 5 speed swap right now

how hard is it to change out a auto with out a lift

any ways thanks for the help

Last edited:

88supramaniac

Mar 8, 2009
chicopee,ma
its not hard just alot more work into it...you will need to jack the car up high enough to do it.....which your better off on a lift....then put jack stands all around then put a jack under the tranny and one onto the bottom of the engine so it doesnt move....might as well go with the 5 speed(r154)prefered

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
Have you changed your fluid in your transmission lately? I had a friend who had this similar problem and I told him to change his fluid and/or filter on his tranny and it's working again properly.

But to change out your transmission. I vote for pulling engine and tranny together. Makes it a lot simpler in the long run. Just my vote though.

kicknsupra

May 22, 2008
PG BC
sorry about the bumpin i did not mean it like that
i did change the tranny oil but not the filter maybe the filter is full of crap?

i am going to do the filter and oil soon any thing to wacth out for i will take pic and post them up

i did look at tsrm befor and was thinking about tryin to inspect the shift lever position and check the throttle cable
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=19
is any thing else to look out for while i am under there

it just seen odd that it worked fine for 2000k and started to do it again

anyways thanks for the help

kicknsupra

May 22, 2008
PG BC
i tryed to pull the tranny codes last summer when all this started and there was no codes but i will try again

kicknsupra

May 22, 2008
PG BC
i did the Shift lever adjustment still no go
is there any thing else it might be?

i am going to do a flush but i am not sure if its going to work and might be a waste of oil and money what do you guys think?