help help help!!

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
hey guys im putting my motor back togather today and i forgot what one thign is. The wires that go from the starter to the battery, the one wire bolts onto the stater and there is another wire next to it. Is that just a normal ground wire or do i need to put that somewhere else. Cause i know tht rest of the wires go up by the battery its just the other wire i dont know what to do with.

Thanks
Tomz

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The starter has two wires to function. One big one straight from the battery provides the juice, and one small one from the cockpit that provides relay power to tell it when to turn on. The big one attaches via eye bolt, the small one has a harness. There are some other wires in that area as well, you'll need to describe it better. Color, shape, termination type, etc.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You need to cut the plastic away that holds the wires together. This is a common mixup.... people put the posative cable on a ground!

YIKES!

Once you have the plastic sheath off, you can tell which wire is which. Like Bishop said, the starter wire goes to the starter power post, and then to the battery. They other wire that was in the plastic sheath is indeed a ground.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Uhhh.... you'd really have to take pics or something, since those wires could have been replaced once upon a time...

Just make sure the same color wire is on the starter and the + side of the battery, and likewise for the wire going to the block and the - side. (this wire will also connect to a small ground next to the battery terminal on the driver fender)

HTH

*edit*
MDC said "YIKES!"... lol

89 Black Beauty

Supra Alarm & Stereo Guy
Jan 11, 2006
Abbotsford
I know exactly what wire that is you're talking about as i did the same thign yesterday.

There are;
1: Large starter main power
2; activation or trigger for the starter (slides onto the starter)
3; big fat ground wire

Those obviously go to the starter,
and since i could not find a place for that bigh tick black wire to go i just grouned it to the intake manifold bracket that goes inbetween the mani and the engine mount.
I belive it's the ground for the engine.
But make sure you hook up the groundstrap on the tranny and the one at the back of the head on the drivers side, firewall to bracket.

of course make sure you crank to motor with the "EFI" fuse pulled out until the oil pressure needle rises ever so slightly.
After i did that i was just cranking and not starting, so i checked codes and i was getting code 11 because i disconnected the plugs from the ecu to pull the motor, so just pull the "main" fuse under the hood and wait a minute then replace the fuse and try again.

hope that helps :)

Last edited: