help! hard starts, bogging down...

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
Hi guys, i just did a search and found out my problem may be fuel related, but im not sure.

(this is a 1990 7mgte, basically stock: test pipe, k&n fipk, turbo xs bov)
So this just started happening this winter so i think it might have something to do with the weather.

The car starts hard and does not rev up as high as it should (on its own), i was tinkering with it a minute ago and it would idle around 600 or so, if i don't give it a little gas while starting it sometimes it will die immediately. I changed the plugs and wires about 5 or six months ago, i went with the ngk iridium plugs and the schucks whatever brand wires.

Also i checked the coolant reservoir yesterday and it was fine, after driving around all day today it was really low. It runs fine when my foot is on it, it still boosts fine and pulls fine at higher rpms, no noticeable power loss so i hope it isnt a bhg (no water in the oil as far as i can tell)

From what i've read it looks like i might be running rich, and maybe i should bump the idle up a tad.

I just didn't want to do something now and regret it later, I know you guys know much more about my car than i do so i would greatly appreciate the help.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
so i put some lucas fuel injector cleaner in it, and pulled the plug wires one at a time while it was running and that didn't seam to be the problem. The oil on the dipstick was kind of redish, but there was no water in it.

i hope its not a bhg

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
i used to link to a site that explained how to check engine codes but that link is gone now and i forgot how...
not it is happening off and on when engine is warm/cold mostly at startup. sounds like a miss sort of.
kind of a whump whump whump sound.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
so i used the cygnusx1 site to check for codes...there are none.

im starting to worry.

p.s. isc valve to turbo...not quite sure which line that is. Its dark out now so its hard to see.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
at startup do you see any puff of smoke and what kind of color if there is?

are you for sure loosing coolant fluid would you say?

if you're loosing coolant (i'm not saying it is) but it could be leaking inbetween a cylinder and creating the bad idle. just do a compression check real quick. i hate doing it on the 7mgte motors...such a pita compared to jz engine.

also if you have an aftermarket boost guage, whats vacuum reading at idle?

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
i filled the reservoir at night. (radiator was hot so i didnt fill that) next day reservoir was empty*after driving around all day*. I have been low on coolant randomly probably 4 or 5 other times since ive owned the car, before i had these problems. I have a stock boost gauge and at idle its at -4 so idk. I guess i should do a leak down test then.

So do you guys think it sounds like a bhg, that would suck, i am so broke. I dont want to end up in some cheapo honda/geo.

i didn't pull the plugs and clean them yet but idk if that would even help.

It smoked a little out of the exhaust and it was white, it smelled like gas though. I had my gf stand behind it and check a bit ago and she said no smoke and no smell while i started it and revved it a little and i haven't seen the smoke again since.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
well its smoking white and won't hold coolent anymore. So i guess im parting it out or selling it and getting something else.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
cry4me_sky;1219481 said:
So i guess im parting it out or selling it and getting something else.

Holy crap...24 hours. That decision didn't take long!

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
took it to a shop and turns out its a bhg. I don't have the money to fix it, and everyone i've talked to said it wouldn't be smart to anyway on a car with 150,000 miles on it.

I love my supra, and don't get me wrong any of my friends/family would tell you i've been pretty bent out of shape yesterday and all day today.

But right now i need something that i can drive to college/2 different jobs/band practice/shows.

Word is its around 15,000 to have it repaired. 'edit'. Not 15,000 1,500 sorry one or two zero's makes a big difference.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
too bad you dont live close by. i would charge you $300.00 for labor and take your whole motor out and redo all the seals and it'll come with 12month 15k mile waranty or i would tell you how to do it for free.

i guess from my first post i was right about the bhg..brownie points for me. you need to find some good supra buddies that dont mind working on supras with you.

oh yeah. and 150k is NOTHING on these motors. my 92 7mgte had over 230k w/ bhg..i drove it with bhg for like 12 months and the thing would not die (i was an idiot testing to see the limits of the motor) so i decided to pull it out and do a rebuild.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
str8_6;1220392 said:
too bad you dont live close by. i would charge you $300.00 for labor and take your whole motor out and redo all the seals and it'll come with 12month 15k mile waranty or i would tell you how to do it for free.

i guess from my first post i was right about the bhg..brownie points for me. you need to find some good supra buddies that dont mind working on supras with you.

oh yeah. and 150k is NOTHING on these motors. my 92 7mgte had over 230k w/ bhg..i drove it with bhg for like 12 months and the thing would not die (i was an idiot testing to see the limits of the motor) so i decided to pull it out and do a rebuild.

i cant help but notice your location is wa, my location is also wa.