HELP! freezing to death!

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
:: freezing :::: freezing ::
dumbo;1479603 said:
You may have engine trouble if you don't have a good vacum at idle. I also gotta agree with 92nsx, write better to get more educated responses.

Your vacum lines should look like this.
vacuum_2h.gif

This nipple comes directly off the rear of the manifold.
vacuum_4h.gif

If you have good vacum at your chacoal canister and only some at the heater valve, like everyone else said, more then likely a cracked line or a blockage. Even though a blockage would still eventually pull the same vacum it would just take longer to get there.

So you saying the little nipple (87293E) in the second picture doesn't pull much vacum if you the pull the line (88690C) off? If so you got other problems.

Sorry to thread jack, though in a similar situation here with no heat :: angry :: I have completely bypassed the valve, and used the hose that comes from the back of the head to the actual heater core... still no heat. I have took the glove box out, the fresh / recur late works, then took most of the drivers lower trim off, cycled the floor/ balance buttons, the actuators move when cycled through the blower options. With all this said and done, I have flushed out the heater core. I put about 1qt of CLR and let that sit in the heater core for about 5 hours it came out when flushed with water, just a little bit cloudy, no chunks, or over sized particles. I am at a lost. The coolant system has been burped, radiator sitting at the highest point of a steep hill, a few bubbles came up noting drastic enough to facilitate a top off. I’m bloody lost here lol.:: freezing ::

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
giterboosted;1479643 said:
Problem solved guys, thanks for all the help! And sorry for all the bad typing

Good work, but let everyone know what you did to fix the problem. That way others can learn if they have the same problem in the future.

Also I think mine has a "T" off that same line and one end goes to the heater control valve, and the other end goes to the cruise control.

Edit: Wasn't sure if you were a NA or GTE but really wanted to show your the second picture more.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
If you have bypassed the valve, I dunno what else to suggest.

However, this piece has been a PITA for all MKIII owners at one time or another... What are the options for replacing with another one, which may be widely available and inexpensive?

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I found out the tee off the back of the manifold and the tee off that emissions device were swapped so the one needing more vaccume wasn't getting hardly any ant the opposite for he one that didn't need much at all, idk when or where it happend because nobodys worked on my car but me in a really long time but whatever... It fixed it so I'm happy, plus my idle is smooth as a babys butt