Help doing timing belt

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Having trouble changing my timing belt. I'm using a Gates Racing one and have read the TRSM bit but I always come out with too much slack around the tensioner with the tensioner released

AEM and Suprasport.com have sent me the wrong cam gears:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

Last edited:

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
pretty sure its the right belt but will check in the morning. As for how much slack enought to throw the timing of the cams out buy about two teeth every rev.

The tensioner is as far right as possible

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
the tensioner can only move so far. as far as adjusting, i believe the hole in the pulley is slotted, but not really adjustable.

if there are lines on the belt for position of the cam gears and the crank. those are only for putting it on. after any revs. those lines wont line back up again.

put it on, turn the crank over a few times, stop when the cam gear notches line back up with the backing cover (straight up). then look to see where the timing mark is at on the crank pulley. if its not at zero, then somethings messed up. (wrong belt would be my guess)

with the belt on, try and pull the belt off of the cam gears, it should very hard if not impossible to do.

Last edited:

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Well the answer is wrong cam gears. I bought some AEM adjustable ones from supra sport but they are smaller than original.

I was a few months ago since I got them any change of getting a replacement.

What gears do I have?

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
SevenMKIII said:
Diamond Star Racing - Mitsubishi's "TRD"

Try Diamond Star Motors, think of it as Chrysler and Mitsubishi building a company together which used to make Eclipses, Eagle Talons, Plymouth Lasers and Galant VR4's under one plant, these particular cars are known as "DSM's" because they are manufactured at the DSM plant and they will have a badge on the firewall that says DSM... sorry, probably too much information, now you know what a dsm is.

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
The box was all sealed up as 7MGTE just have to see how quickly suprasport gets back to me and if they send ne the right ones

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Stuart.
I am checking with AEM and waiting to hear back from them right now. Just to clear it up for everyone...the box does say its for the 7mtge and it was sealed. If the wrong part was/is in the box it was not SupraSport. We are checking and doing the basics right now to getting it taken care of...the issue they are having already is the time that has elapsed, and you being overseas. I'll let you know what I find out. Could you also measure the shaft size...were the pin goes not the side with the teeth
Thanks

Stu_22 said:
The box was all sealed up as 7MGTE just have to see how quickly suprasport gets back to me and if they send ne the right ones

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
buldozr said:
Try Diamond Star Motors, think of it as Chrysler and Mitsubishi building a company together which used to make Eclipses, Eagle Talons, Plymouth Lasers and Galant VR4's under one plant, these particular cars are known as "DSM's" because they are manufactured at the DSM plant and they will have a badge on the firewall that says DSM... sorry, probably too much information, now you know what a dsm is.

My bad, I don't know where I got 'racing' from? :sarcasm:

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
SupraSportJack said:
Stuart.
I am checking with AEM and waiting to hear back from them right now. Just to clear it up for everyone...the box does say its for the 7mtge and it was sealed. If the wrong part was/is in the box it was not SupraSport. We are checking and doing the basics right now to getting it taken care of...the issue they are having already is the time that has elapsed, and you being overseas. I'll let you know what I find out. Could you also measure the shaft size...were the pin goes not the side with the teeth
Thanks

cant measure it now as its dark but the centre is a perfect fit for the 7M's cam thats why its taken me a while to relise its the wrong one.

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
SupraSportJack said:
Stuart.
Thanks

Does this guy have his head up his arse when it come to customer service. Ive called a couple of times now and he cant even reply with an email.

AEM are no better some dumb bird answering the phone "please hold they all out of the office"
"No I bloody cant hold I calling from he UK and its costing me"

Sorry moan over

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
sorry to hear. do you still have your stock cam gears? I would return the AEMs for a refund if you can, at least with the stock gears you can get the car running.

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Stu_22 said:
Does this guy have his head up his arse when it come to customer service. Ive called a couple of times now and he cant even reply with an email.

AEM are no better some dumb bird answering the phone "please hold they all out of the office"
"No I bloody cant hold I calling from he UK and its costing me"

Sorry moan over

Stuart,
I JUST heard from AEM...they were not open during the weekend so my head isn't up my "arse". I talked to you when you called and told you I would get back to you when they got back to me.
Because of the elapsed time they want a picture of the wrong cam gear, a pic with the stock gear, and a pic of stock only gear.
If this would have been noticed before it would have been a much easier process. I can only tell you what they tell me, I have sat on hold for them for quit a while already but if you can get a different answer quicker by all means go for it. I have already asked for an eta on new gears and I am waiting to hear from them on that now too.
I will post when I hear from them..I can also post when I don't hear from them if that will help. Send the pics to Jack@SupraSport.com

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Sorry for getting a bit "arsey" just got of the phone with a very unhelpful AEM

p750112_1.jpg

p750112_2.jpg