Help cure cancer for free, join the Supra’s Folding Team!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kai;1411677 said:
Come on you guys - anyone here with a PS3 should set 'Life with Playstation' (Folding@Home) to be their default screensaver, so that when not playing games, it's doing something useful - like churning out WU's!

FOLD!
How does one set that up Kai?

SupraMario;1671342 said:
Is anyone still doing this? I started over with my new user name. Just wanted to see who is actually Folding right now for our team.
I'll join, can leave the PS3 on overnight, no worries. Keeps the room warm for me. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I meant set it as the default screen saver... If I understand the program correctly (buddy of mine introduced me to it way back in the early 2000's), it downloads and entire packet of info, the program sorts it all out, then uploads the results? If so, that really shouldn't have much of an effect on the network speeds, right? I have crappy internet, but don't mind letting it run at night. :)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Easy - before you launch the application - select it - and hit triangle - that'll bring up the options - i have mine set to auto on 10 mins idle...

And no - the packets of data are a few kb in size - 512kb or less usually. You'll get sent a packet, spend a few hours processing it - send 512kb back and the cycle goes on. Negligible network usage :)

I have Folding@Home running on my GPU as well - churns out some nice WU's :)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Anyone still folding? I started again a couple days ago on the new 3570k. Runs fairly well and the temps for all 4 cores are staying around 48-50C.

I went from being over 200 on our list to currently 143 (and climbing fast as it's just sitting there running WUs).

Wish I had a GPU to run on but that's not gonna happen until Christmas time :'( (looking at a gtx 560 ti unless things change by then).

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Made the top 50 in less than 2 weeks. And that was with it turned off for a couple days there.

We only show 11 active CPUs in the last 10 days. Although I think the work units are a bit bigger than they used to be. I've only got 22 and all the others close to me have between 1 and 3 hundred.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm still letting the PS3 crank away now and then. Have a little over 50 units completed. :)

I forget what "team" it is signed up on though. Might be the PSM (Playstation Magazine) team, been a subscriber of theirs for 15 years now. Playstation is probably the only thing that my loyalty goes back further than Supras haha...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Anyone else notice that the PS3 application has been ended? Oddly enough, you can no longer use the Folding application through the PS3, but it is still on there. Kinda wondering if it is one of those things that will be removed at a later date through a firmware update, or if Stanford plans on opening it back up to us PS3 folks...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
te72;1909393 said:
Anyone else notice that the PS3 application has been ended? Oddly enough, you can no longer use the Folding application through the PS3, but it is still on there. Kinda wondering if it is one of those things that will be removed at a later date through a firmware update, or if Stanford plans on opening it back up to us PS3 folks...

Looks like we can blame Sony: http://www.playstation.com/life/en/index.html

I finally started folding again. I kept getting random glitches and lockups and it ended up being my 8GB of GSkill Sniper so I swapped it out a few weeks ago for 16GB of Corsair Vengeance. SSD + Z77 + 3570k + 16GB = :evil2:, add in the GTX650Ti and I'm churning out 30k+ a day.