HELP! Antifreeze + Smoke = ???

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Today i was driving home from work and it was raining outside. As soon as i pulled into my driveway i stopped the car and noticed that there was smoke around the car. I got out, left the engine running (it was night time) and i saw smoke coming from somewhere near the transmission. After shutting the engine off, about 5 minutes later, i heard a pssh,pssh,pssh a few times from the engine. Keep in mind my car is a 1987 Supra with a 7mge and 5-speed manual. I jacked up the car and got underneath. I could see anti-freeze all over the bottom of engine/transmission, but because it was dark out and hard to see i could not pinpoint where it came from. About 15 minutes after shutting the engine off, the engine was still smoking slowly, and i checked how much antifreeze was in the rad. It looked dry. Yesterday however, i checked my rad and there was still fluid in it. My car has 201,000 km and i checked all of my gauges as soon as i noticed the problem and nothing was out of the ordinary. The engine was not overheating. Anyways, im in desperate need of help from fellow enthusiast who could maybe give me ideas of what the problem is.

I appreciate the words of wisdom.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
at the rear of the block right above the trans/bell houseing there is a hard line (steel pipe)...a section on that pop deadends into nothing on the passenger side of the block near the fire wall....this pipe is capped off with a gay rubber boot....it's known to leak...

Also check your hoses and freeze plugs....your on your own on this really

Also check the very back of the head and look to see if your egr cooler is leaking....

This is just a game of hide and seek and your it!

Little humor: what's the diff between a bucket and a 7m?....

....bucket holds water.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
So many possibilities:

90 degree hose at the back of the head on the exhaust side
capped pipe directly under that
hoses to and from the heater core
heater control valve
90 degree hose on back of the T-stat housing
rad hoses
radiator
freeze plug
ect ect ect

Hose or cap at back of the head is my bet.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
gaboonviper85;1149953 said:
at the rear of the block right above the trans/bell houseing there is a hard line (steel pipe)...a section on that pop deadends into nothing on the passenger side of the block near the fire wall....this pipe is capped off with a gay rubber boot....it's known to leak...

Also check your hoses and freeze plugs....your on your own on this really

Also check the very back of the head and look to see if your egr cooler is leaking....

This is just a game of hide and seek and your it!

Little humor: what's the diff between a bucket and a 7m?....

....bucket holds water.

haha, good joke.......:sarcasm: what you said about the pipe near the back of the engine overtop of the trans sounds pretty dead on, because the antifreeze drips down off of the tranny, so its something above it that is leaking.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Probably the top heater hose at the back/top of the head (goes to the heater VSV).

Usually the clamp gets loose and/or the hose is old and sprung a leak. Easiest way to check is to try and twist to see if it moves from where it attaches to he top of the head. Use a spring clamp on it when/if you replace it. Makes it much easier to install, and remove later. Worm clamp works fine, but a PITA because of the angle and length of srewdriver you'll need. Costs about $8-$10 from any auto parts (universal) and you may have to cut to fit.