Heater Valve Replacement?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I want to replace my heater valve as it looks old and I don't want it to break while I am driving.

I have looked and saw that four seasons make a valve that can replace ours, since my VSV works fine to open the valve.

Anyone know the number and if it actually works?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Being a leg man all I can say is...damn.

90's Prizm/Corolla. This is one should work: http://tinyurl.com/3sxc9wj

Toss the bracket it comes with, flip the valve over, then install the bracket and actuating lever from the old one. The ports are slightly larger so carefully push the hoses on or mold to fit. Ran one for over 10 years with zero problems...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank Jetjock! I ordered it and I did find the number on SupraForums as well but I wasn't sure if anyone found it.

I remember you discussing it in a thread but nobody has done any write ups, so I will do one with some pictures. I mange to find it on EBay and from a place in NY, so I should get it by the end of the week, that is if UPS doesn't drag their feet!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I still remember mine bursting on me, right in the parking lot of the Toyota dealer for all to see, steam coming from one of their best models. Good for business, huh? :p

Then again, when the previous owners have only ever run tap water in the cooling system for 20 years, things tend to be brittle...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I got my new Four Season 74850 heater valve. The only difference is the barb fittings are slightly larger than the stock valve but the hoses fit nicely after pushing them on.

The first thing I did was loosen the two screws on the back of the heater valve assembly.

After removing the two screws, carefully remove the actuator's level from the lever arm of the old heater valve. There will be a yellow plastic bushing that you will need to keep to reuse when installing the new Hester valve.

After removing the old heater valve, remove the screw holding the lever arm in place and switch it over to the new heater valve. You will need to remove the lever arm off the new valve as it is different but reuse the new Phillips screw as the threads in the new heater valve are suited for that screw.

After placing the old lever arm on the new heater valve, screw in the new Phillips screw to hold it on. There is only one way that the lever arm is supposed to fit in the heater valve and there is a certain shape on the lever arm and heater valve that will need to be matched up before putting the screw on. Make sure the lever arm is seated properly.

Line up the heater valve on the bracket to the corresponding holes that were previously in use, making sure the arrow on the heater valve is pointed down. At this time, place the yellow bushing on the actuator's arm and fit it into the lever arm of the heater valve.

Screw in the Phillips screws on the back of the bracket and put in the hoses and enjoy your new and cheaper heater valve. :)

a68989bc-659e-8df0.jpg

a68989bc-6572-c526.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good writeup Andy! If I ever have one go out on me again, I'll be visiting this thread again. :)