heater is intermittent!! GRRR!!!!!!!

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
So the heater on my GA70H has apparently decided to only work when it wants to. See thing thing is I can turn the heater on, be it defrost or auto or whatever. It will blow hot air for a few minutes and then all of the sudden it starts blowing cold air. But when I am sitting if traffic it'll go back to blowing hot air, sometimes... But most of the time it just blows cooler air. Anybody have a remedy for this situation? Nothing sucks more then telling the ladies that I have a quasi-badass car only to take them for a ride and have them freeze their ass off and me end up not getting any because my heater wants to have a mind of its own...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Because a GA70 is real badass......

Haha, no I'm just joking with you on that one. Seriously, it's a cool car.

I would check the heater VSV. It's the little valve that opens and closes the coolant flow to the heater core. If it gets stuck, you won't have any heat. Do a search, there's a thread on here describing how to test it.

Serzy

Apr 20, 2005
LI NY
www.myspace.com
RHDMK3 said:
Sweet man! I appreciate it. Imaginary rep for you! +1

Also in the vents on top of the dashboard theres a little photosensor jammy, I noticed with mine that sometimes when my heat was fritzy if I covered up that sensor with a peice of paper or a business card my heat would get warmer again almost instantly... so check into that also.. kind of a ghetto rig, not even sure what that sensors for but its something to do with the climate control.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
That sounds like air in the cooling system. If it happens when youre driving odds are its because of combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system. One of the first signs of a headgasket leak. Dont jump to conclusions though, first try burping the system to rid it of air. If it continues to happen try a compression or leakdown test.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
xarewhyayen said:
That sounds like air in the cooling system. If it happens when youre driving odds are its because of combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system. One of the first signs of a headgasket leak. Dont jump to conclusions though, first try burping the system to rid it of air. If it continues to happen try a compression or leakdown test.

I checked my coolant the other day. No oil in the coolant, and vice versa. But I might go ahead and burp the system anyways though. Thanks for the info.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
There doesnt have to be intermix for there to be a blown headgasket, i had one for a while, and had the same symptoms, and even when i pulled the motor, NO coolant+oil intermix at all, just combustion gasses in the coolant system. I knew it was getting worse and worse for sure when i opened my overflow tank and there was a bit of smoke coming out of it.

RHDMK3 said:
I checked my coolant the other day. No oil in the coolant, and vice versa. But I might go ahead and burp the system anyways though. Thanks for the info.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Yeah I suppose if I had a 7M I would definitely be worried about this(BHG), but since I got a 1G with 125,500 Kilo's ( about 70K miles). I mean, are the 1G's known for BHG?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
RHDMK3 said:
Yeah I suppose if I had a 7M I would definitely be worried about this(BHG), but since I got a 1G with 125,500 Kilo's ( about 70K miles). I mean, are the 1G's known for BHG?

headgasket problems arent only inherit to the 7m, it can happen to any motor in the world with a headgasket. does it have an iron block and aluminum head? if so, they contract at different rates, which opens a small door for hg problems. A headgasket is a headgasket... they do fail sometimes.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
I know that any headgasket on any engine can fail. Yes, the block on the 1g is iron and I believe that the head is aluminum.