Heat Soak/Vapor Lock

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Been DDing my MKIII for the past couple of months and have had a couple of instances of what I think may be vapor lock--car won't start (or starts and barely idles) after driving for a while in our lovely 100+ degree temps (30+mins) and then sitting for 15-20 mins. Both times this happened I had <1/2 a tank and wasn't registering any fuel pressure on the gauge and after 10mins or so of sitting with the hood open it'll fire up and run fine.

My fuel system consists of a walbro in-tank feeding a surge tank under the driver's side headlight and then I have a bosch 044 mounted on the framerail (under the intake manifold) pulling from there and feeding both ends of the rail. I hear both pumps kick on when cranking but the 044 is not nearly as loud when I get the no start condition and I'm wondering if it's baking in all the engine heat with the hood closed and no airflow after shutting 'er down.

I've run this setup for a couple years and have road raced it twice in 80+degree temps with no issues like this, was hoping I could get some other ideas. Thanks!