health care rants

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Well not really health care, but prescription which is part of my health benefits here at work. I was diagnosed as being diabetic at the first of the year and immediatley put on insulin shots, an insulin booster pill and a barrage of fish oil and other prescribed pills to help lower my cholestorol and insulin rejection. I got a little sticker shot when I filled my first prescription to the tune of $300 after benefits. Knowing I am going to be using these drugs for the forseeable future I go to my prescription benefit page to see if there is a cheaper way to do this. I immediatley find out I can only fill this ongoing prescription 3 times at a retail outlet before my benefits no longer pay for them. Amazingly, Walgreens never mentioned any of this to me in any of their numerous flyers about my new drugs. My provider forces me to sign up for a mail order prescription refill serviced operated by them. It also must be done in 60 or 90 amounts. Although the cost goes down for ordering so much my initial out of pocket is signifigantly higher. I finally just pull the trigger and order the meds through their service at the end of last month.

First off, they list all my new drugs that are available and let me know I have two retail refills left under coverage. Out to the right are check boxes for me to place them in the mail order list. I select the check all option and proceed to the next page where they have my Dr's info listed and important info about my prescription. Continuing to the actual order page I click the order. It gives me the amount they are charging me when the order is approved and filled. They will get my Dr's approval for the presription and fill the order within 2 weeks.

My doctor sent the approval in last week. They finaly get back to me saying they cannot fill the order because they claim it is not a valid prescription. Now I have to start the process all over again. This advertised as an easier way for me to get my meds. I am just trying to figure when it gets easier. It seems like more frustration than it is worth. To top that off, the government wants to get involved in all this mess and will surely muck it up even more than it already is.

Sorry so long
/RANT

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I'd suggest talking with the HR/Benefits People at your company. Along with you, they are paying for this, and neither of you is getting what you paid for.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Talking to my HR people is almost as bad as attempting an inteligent conversation with a politician. Some things just arent possible. I have been going through the email chain at my benefit provider. They are snail mailing some forms out today for my Dr and me to fill out to try and resolve this. Although, I whole-heartedly agree with your statement. May email it past my HR department and send it to the corporate heads instead.