Header installation

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
Im picking my MKIII up this thursday, under one condition. i install the OBX headers the guy is giving me b4 next wednesday so he can hear it[Z car meet next thursday, i work on a 240sx in my spare time, hence the nissan club]

so, im curious as to how header a header/DP installation is on the 7M-GE motors. i have a garage for all day saturday, with everythign short of air tools.

essential i just want to know if there are any tricky parts on the removal/install, or is it pretty straight forward.

there OBX headers by the way, and my exhaust manifold gasket is on the way, cuz the OBX one is fed up.

thanks for the help!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It's straight forward. Disconnect the O2 sensor, pull the heat shields remove the studs (not just the nuts), remove the three nuts on the underside of the flange connecting the header to the downpipe and you're set.

Take it easy when re-installing the studs in the head, watch the torque. Alot of people have had trouble with the threads in the head stripping out.

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
sweet, thank you.

well im picking the title up today hopefully, and then tomorrow she comes home. tomorrow is going to be the longest day of my life.

oh, i know my my KA24E in my 240sx the heatshield was a BITCH to get out, how difficult is in on the 7M-GE?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its not that hard, you remove two nuts for each shield and have to wiggle it over the studs. its a bit of a pain to get the curved shield over two straight studs at angles, but it can be done. after a few times, it gets easy.

where you at in VA?

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
Anndale/alexandria area, about 5 hours and 7 mintes [243mi] from you lol

and this sounds easier the my SX, the EGR return pipe is rusted into the exhaust mani, so it was a bitch. and my heatshield got d-wrecked when i was taking it out, then i beat the crap out of it, it took about 2 1/2 hours to get out. dirty dirty dirty filthy whore it is.

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
and the stock security system freaked out and killed the starter... so im going on friday to get it. if its still kirking out then im push starting it and bringing it home and ripping the fucker out.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
damn. im not sure why the whole sale depends on some guy hearing what it sounds like after hes sold it to you.

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
it didnt, it was a joke, but i want to get them on cuz ive heard that the first cat in the DP holds heat, which keeps that section of the block warmer then the rest, thus the block cools unevenly, which helps the HG blow even easier. plus it should sound nice and it give me a reason to work on the engine.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
meh, i havent heard that in all my time here. but as for the reason to work on the engine :bigthumb:

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
ive seen a couple threads about it on various forums, i dont know if its true, im new to the 7M-GE/GTE motors. but 1)the headers come with the car and 2)im not one of those people that lets parts sit uninstalled for months on end. and 3)i have a heated garage on saturday, which i plan on making full use of.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
The "heat" theory is only semi-valid on the GTE's where the downpipe has a close-coupled cat about 9" from the turbo. There's no cat in the header of the GE, so there goes that theory.

Headers don't make any real difference anyhow. They're just pretty. The GE exhaust manifold flows extremely well.

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
im not expecting anything drastic, jsut a lil better flow, and maybe a little better exhuast note. the 2.5" custom exhuast will help more, and the headers w/ intake + 2.5" exhuast and some fuel tuning should give it a nice little boost, but not the kind of boost i want :)

but turbo is out of the question til hte summer, o fucking cold and this is my daily so i dont want to take it of the road for any length of time.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
The OBX ones don't fit well out of the box, hopefully it was already modified and will fit on for you. You also have to worry about the o2 sensor location.

Other then that, it is very easy to install.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i think its more cutting and grinding than welding. course, it doesnt hurt to have toyota's sst 000-001 handy

15025%20SLEDGE%20HAMMER.jpg